Hawk attacks on our ducks

Yes. It would not move away from the body. My husband got very close before it flew away, then it circled around close enough that my husband felt the wind from its flapping wings! Then it perched in a tree and watched. I came outside to watch while he got our duck back in the cage and got the dead duck. Two more hawks came during that time. Today we were outside and there was no sign of them. Our first pair were khaki Campbell. After one of them was killed, we got an Indian runner. Now we only have one of the original khaki Campbell left. They are around about 2 1/2 years old.

We have a coop with a roof. She's safe. We let them free range in the yard when we can.

They also know now they can have a pretty easy meal, If you don't think you want to go through this again maybe re home your last duck so she doesn't end up as a hawk meal too.

Hawks are around here now too even though we have them year round they seem to be braver this time of year and I lost a game bantam hen last week. I pray everyday for the rest of my flock that none get taken we have alot of cover but this time of year there are no leaves to keep it more protected.
I cannot cover half an acre of property.

So very sorry for your losses and that your daughters had to witness it.
hugs.gif

We have lots of Hawks at the lake where my ducks are free ranging. I didn't let them "out" until they were 12 weeks old (nearly full grown). We lost one on the second night (disappeared without a trace) but the others (4) have been fine now for almost 6 months now. I'm thinking that they are too big for a hawk to mess with? Maybe there is an abundance of easier prey?

The first attack was in the summer. The hawk took the duck and flew away. Gone. The one that killed Jelly last week stayed on our property. We just got a new duck for Quackers. She's a Muscovy. We are not leaving them outside of their coop alone. There is snow in the ground now, so it's not a big deal, but on the warmer days (which we've been having in northeast Ohio), they LOVE to be out foraging. Quackers (khaki Campbell) will protest loudly and non-stop until she's let loose.

Wow. Scary! Are they full grown ducks?
As I raised mine I kept them in a pen with fencing over the top for that reason. Once they were grown I didn't think it was an issue. Or IS it?

Wow. Scary! Are they full grown ducks?
As I raised mine I kept them in a pen with fencing over the top for that reason. Once they were grown I didn't think it was an issue. Or IS it?
it is an issue if a hawk can't carry one off to eat it it will kill and eat it right on the ground. And if ducks are left out after dark there are owls that will feast on them. The only way to keep your birds safe is to lock them up at night. And if they can be supervised let them free range during the day.

Ours have been full grown when killed. They are locked up every night. They are let out to free range every day. The woman at the farm where we got our newest duck said the hawks will keep coming back because they know there is food here.

Back
Top Bottom