Hawk attacks on our ducks

I have lived in our Indiana suburb for 20 years. This year we have had an outrageous amount of Hawk attacks on neighbors. My husband got attacked 4 times in one week walking in our yard. I was attacked by two at one time in our driveway. A friend was attacked 3 steps out of her car. The neighbors are so traumatized that they wear bike helmets to get the mail and mow the yard. They carry umbrellas to walk their dogs and clean their pools. We have ducks x2. They stay together at all times while foraging under our trees. We also have a boarder collie which I feel protects them. I have read the safest place for them is in the open water.
We have notified the DNR. They may remove the nest once the fledglings have left.

Illegal to kill? If I feel my life or parts of my body are in danger by hawks I will kill it or attempt at least. I understand they are federally protected and you are not supppse to kill it, but when you endangered you kill. Yesterday I heard my Ancona ducks quacking very load so I ran out and sure enough there was a hawk in my large tree. A few seconds later a dead squirrel just fell from the tree in front of me. I guess the hawk wasnt after my babies.
Illegal to kill? If I feel my life or parts of my body are in danger by hawks I will kill it or attempt at least. I understand they are federally protected and you are not supppse to kill it, but when you endangered you kill. Yesterday I heard my Ancona ducks quacking very load so I ran out and sure enough there was a hawk in my large tree. A few seconds later a dead squirrel just fell from the tree in front of me. I guess the hawk wasnt after my babies.
two pekin ducks. 4months old

Hello,
In the 3 years we have had ducks, we've had two killed by hawks. Our original, Quackers, saw her sister taken by a hawk. We got another duck named Jelly. She was attacked and killed yesterday in front of Quackers, and my two daughters. It was horrific. We buried Jelly today. I guess my question is why does this keep happening? We live in a development, but two family friends have ducks and this hasn't happened to them. Do we keep replacing the ducks that are getting attacked?? Do we find a new home for our remaining duck? We are devastated and so is Quackers. She's now seen two companions attacked and killed.
What kind of ducks got attacked? How big were they? We just had a large Red Tail Hawk on a stump looking over our place. We have 2 ducks, 4 Chickens and 2 Guineas. The guinea hens went nuts...alarming the farm...Our birds all have their own building..so got them tucked in..... But wondering How big of a bird they will attack...We have a drought going on...imagine the hawks are Hungry. Northern MN

Back
Top Bottom