Hawk attempting to get in cage!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Fruitloopz, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Fruitloopz

Fruitloopz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    My silkies are my babies, so they are kept in their own pen right next to the house. It is fully enclosed (the holes in the wire are very small), off the ground. I heard quite the ruckus yesterday so I ran outside and saw this hawk in a frenzy obviously trying to get in the pen. Thankfully, the hens were scared and hid inside their hideaway box. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be any way a hawk could hurt them..is there? I know this sounds silly, but can they rip at the wire cage? Is there anything I can do besides shoot them? (no firearms in the house)

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The main way hawks kill birds inside enclosure is by flushing them and making them break their necks. He can then rip them through the wire piece by piece. Be careful..if he was hanging on it..he really wants a taste. If possible, find a way to hide them until he moves on.

3. Fruitloopz

Fruitloopz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Oh dear God! I think I need a gun! They are a few feet from my front door too. I have one other question I forgot about..do hawks come out at night?

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    The hawk will eventually break through the wire if you don't watch out. I would get some hot wire over you'r cage, that would do the job. [​IMG] And, hawks sleep at night, so don't worry about that. [​IMG] Good luck!

5. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    I believe hawks are protected in all states. Killing it could get you into a bit of trouble. Can you put up some sort of barrier to keep the hawk further away from your birds, or otherwise discourage it from coming so close to your house?

6. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    get a hotwire
    the hawk will move on if the cage has an electric wire protecting it
    you can not kill the hawk legally as they are protected

my theory is killing animals is like putting water in a leaking bucket
    there are almost more and your chickens will always be in danger
    vs
    having a coop that is secure and will deter all predators with an electric fence if needed
    good luck!

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    try hanging aluminum pie plates to the cage, when he hits the wire they will make noise and that should scare him away..

8. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    move that whole cage to the garage until you get the live wire.

9. Show Me Chick

Show Me Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Killing hawks is only illegal if you get caught. Lol!

10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:Made easier if you don't even mention that on forums [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by