Hawk attempting to get in cage!

Fruitloopz

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
My silkies are my babies, so they are kept in their own pen right next to the house. It is fully enclosed (the holes in the wire are very small), off the ground. I heard quite the ruckus yesterday so I ran outside and saw this hawk in a frenzy obviously trying to get in the pen. Thankfully, the hens were scared and hid inside their hideaway box. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be any way a hawk could hurt them..is there? I know this sounds silly, but can they rip at the wire cage? Is there anything I can do besides shoot them? (no firearms in the house)

The main way hawks kill birds inside enclosure is by flushing them and making them break their necks. He can then rip them through the wire piece by piece. Be careful..if he was hanging on it..he really wants a taste. If possible, find a way to hide them until he moves on.

Oh dear God! I think I need a gun! They are a few feet from my front door too. I have one other question I forgot about..do hawks come out at night?

The hawk will eventually break through the wire if you don't watch out. I would get some hot wire over you'r cage, that would do the job.
wink.png
And, hawks sleep at night, so don't worry about that.
big_smile.png
Good luck!

I believe hawks are protected in all states. Killing it could get you into a bit of trouble. Can you put up some sort of barrier to keep the hawk further away from your birds, or otherwise discourage it from coming so close to your house?

get a hotwire
the hawk will move on if the cage has an electric wire protecting it
you can not kill the hawk legally as they are protected

my theory is killing animals is like putting water in a leaking bucket
there are almost more and your chickens will always be in danger
vs
having a coop that is secure and will deter all predators with an electric fence if needed
good luck!

try hanging aluminum pie plates to the cage, when he hits the wire they will make noise and that should scare him away..

Back
Top Bottom