1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk crushing chicken to death on impact?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by K-12 Chickens, Apr 5, 2012.

1. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Snowbell, my Leghorn, was killed by an immature Red-Tailed Hawk a few months ago. When I examined her body, there was no cuts on her body whatsoever. Now I'm thinking, was she basically crushed to death by the weight of the hawk? Snowbell was a fairly lightweight hen and the hawk was of a larger size(and weight, I'm assuming).

2. hitgsd

hitgsd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Raptors, are birds who kill with their feet, i.e. crush the victim with their talons then eat them. Owls, eagles, falcons, kestrels, hawks all raptors. It would be possible to not see any wounds, or just small punctures. A hawk is not really heavy, probably lighter then say my red sex links, but their feet are very very strong.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    It was probably the impact when the hawk swooped down on her. They land pretty hard when they hit. I saw a hawk swoop on a rabbit and they both tumbled two or three times. Hawk just grabbed on, folded up and rolled with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by