Hawk Deterrents

pigeonpuddle

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2022
Do those owl statues actually keep hawks away? Is there any other solutions? I've been looking for some sort of hawk repellent since they've been so bad for us, one attacked my runner a few weeks ago and I've just been so nervous since šŸ˜„ Ive been keeping them locked up for most of the day but they clearly hate it.

I've never heard of that with the owl statues. I've heard of keeping something big, working though. Supposedly turkeys help keep hawks away. (Basically you want something alive and big enough that the hawk is going to be too nervous about coming down.) Another thing I heard that worked is someone taught their rooster to play with a kickball, and the hawks never came down while the rooster was playing with his kickball.

I personally think a net covered run would be the safest option.

The owls donā€™t work. Also, the squirrels will eat the plastic owl. Donā€™t ask me how I know.

i have use baling twine before, criss crossing the top of a run. The hawks will not fly down into an are where they feel they donā€™t have enough room to fly out. As mentioned by Lacy Duckwing, netting will deter them (stop) them from flying. I assume you are talking about a run. I installed 2 X 4s on top of my run on 24 inch centers and installed welded wire across the top. No hawks, squirrels, etc.

i find rabbit and squirrel hair in my field all the time where hawks catch them in the open. They even pick off the squirrels in the pecan trees.

A hawk just killed one our flock. I didnā€™t hear a thing, but happened to glance out the window, ten minutes too late. That damned hawk just sat there, unwilling to give up its prey even with me three feet away, pumping BBs into him (didnā€™t seem to do a thing). Iā€™m off to Walmart to get a pellet gun now.

Not sure how to protect them but I guess Iā€™ll stretch some deer netting across the run for now. Hopefully the snow wonā€™t bust it down. This is sad; feels like I failed them.

Will probably get a couple of chicks from the Agway to replenish the egg supply. We were spoiled with 6 eggs every morning.

Back
Top Bottom