Hawk, in a covered chicken run!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by The Sheriff, Feb 11, 2013.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    We have five runs, side by side. We have flight netting over the top but haven't quite secured it down in all areas yet. I will have before the sun sets tonight!

1 person likes this.
  2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    That is so crazy!

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Good job! I ran out as my rooster was trying to fight off a bobcat once. Bobcat got hold of him while I was getting my rifle. Shot at the Bobcat as he ran away and the rooster was laying there in a pile of feathers. He jumped up and ran to the garden and was alright. One of those lucky days. Those little chicken hawks are no match for full grown standard breeds, but they could hurt them. Your chickens were ready to kick some butt. [​IMG]

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Looks like a juvenile male Coopers Hawk. One on one they can very much a threat to even adult chickens but for me just chicks with mom and pop around. Coopers and smaller Sharp-shinned hawks are good at getting through tight spaces. Your birds are much nicer than mine when comes to getting a hawk down on ground like that. Mine would have put a great deal more effort into killing it.

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Here are a couple of still shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What is in his right talon? Something for sure. It was likely reason he got into pen, not for chickens.

7. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    This happened to me about a month ago. I think my invader was a Sharp-shinned Hawk. It was during the day and the coop door was open but the hawk was so busy bouncing off the run's netting in a panic it couldn't find the door. It eventually ripped down a section of netting that was stapled into the roof overhang by ramming into it. My gigantic Lavender Orp rooster was standing in the doorway to the coop looking unfazed. I found a huge clump of hawk feathers in the run so I am pretty sure the rooster and hawk had a bit of an altercation before I came outside and noticed what was going on.

That same hawk has chased hens around the base of a 60 year old Chinese Photinia in my front yard. ON FOOT! Between the dogs and roosters, it quickly changes its mind and takes off.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    You definitely have to get the foot chase on video!

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    At first i thought nobody here but us chickens. Glad none of your chickens got hurt.

10. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I watched the video back frame by frame until I saw something drop to the ground. I went out with my camera and found this.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by