Hawk just doesn't...learn.

Chickeygirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 25, 2011
My son and I were sitting on the porch - suddenly, the chickens that just strolled by us start raising cain. Got up just in time to see a red tailed hawk try to take one of my white cochins. Other than keeping them cooped ALL the time - HOW do I stop them? Henny is fine, just a nick on her head and she's a bit dazed - I have her caged at the moment to watch her.

Sounds like the hawk HAS learned, buffet is open. They are really hard to protect from when free ranging, make sure they have lots of places for cover. Small shrubs, things they can get under fast.

Yeah, you are right. I just caught Freeps and Pearl - they are my silver duckwing bantam games...I stuck them in a cage. They hate me now
sad.png
Just need to round up a few more. I wasn't surprised they would go after some of the small ones - what floored me was going after a nearly full grown langshan. I do not think it could have taken off with him, but what do I know.

It has been my problem all fall. It is a risk I take in order to let my girls free range. The hawk is probably coming at the same time each day you could lock up your girls at that time till he moves on.

I don't think there is much you can do unless you want to put them in a run with wire criss-crossed over the top. Otherwise, they fend for themselves, unless you want to try scaring off the hawk. My husband shot at one in the air several times. The hawk stayed away for several days but quickly came back.

I was about to go shoot in the air with my ruger - I am not blessed with a rifle, tho I'd not be shooting AT the hawk, just to scare it. We have a breeding pair - this was small - I'm wondering if it was a baby that returned.

Hawks are skilled hunters. Once they figure out your chickens are a relatively easy meal they will return. Catching a chicken is much easier than catching rabbits, squirrels and wild birds. the only sure way to protect them is in a covered run and your watchfull eye constantly when let out to roam. Thats what I have to do, otherwise, I wouldn't have any chickens, the red tails and cooper hawks are thick as thieves around my place. They are especially bad in the winter when their natural prey is more scarce.

Do you have any roos? In the past I've had roos that would rush the attacking hawk and give the girls time to run to safety. Sadly, sometimes the roo would lose his life in defending his girls. But if the roo lived through the experience he learned to keep an eye on the sky and would warn the ladies if a hawk was flying around.
I learned to appreciate my roos for more than just breeding purposes!!!

Quote:
Because of where I live I'm not allowed to keep roos, although I have a OEG bantam roo named Murray shhh!!! who tries his best to protect his 22 girl friends but being smaller than a pigeon he knows he doesn't stand a chance. Although is very good at spotting them and beats all the girls to bushes to hide.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom