Hawk Under Deck

Barbierfarms - The reason you heard that loud and clear is because the BYCers don't want you to get into BIG trouble. The Feds take no prisoners when it comes to the raptors. I have a state Game Warden that does some work on my property every now and then. That is one area when it is very strict...little to no compassion offered by the Feds. So don't be sorry you posted about it. Just accept that everyone wanted to keep you safe from the Feds.

Oh, I heard what everyone was saying for sure & dont want any trouble from the law.Just trying to make sure what kind of bird I'm dealing with& I understand the law could care less about my chickens or my family, thats there job to protect the animals & laws/rules to follow. I am thankful for any info .

Our visitor:
25976_dscn9588.jpg

Pointy wingtips, very fast flier, turns corners very well. Then sits close by, with a pathetic little whine that sounds like, "...but I'm just sooooo hungry....can't I have just one... wish I could catch just one...."
We have put up peanut butter on the birdfeeder post to attract squirrels, with one or two successes last year. It's a win-win for both of us, those darn squirrels put a big hole in our house last spring!
25976_dscn9595.jpg

**ooh, I hope it's not illegal to provide squirrels on a post to the hawk. The squirrels are just so into their peanut butter, they're easy targets. Do you think we could get in trouble for that? My 10 year old says, "well, that's a bird feeder, too"...

Last edited:
Quote:
I've had a little talk with the hawk, too, listing all the reasons the brown furry food thing is tastier, anyhow; more meat, less pointy sharp peices, no feathers to pull, less work....doesn't holler when you chase it down....

But it was the larger hawk that got the squirrels. I fear this smaller, pointy hawk may be a strict birdetarian.

"The hawk was severely injured and it wouldn't have survived anyways. I just couldn't stand to see it suffer any longer, I swear officer!"

I just wouldn't say it had been severely injured by the first shotgun blast…

First shotgun blast....love it!
I know it's insane, but I electrified my run. With an electric fencer...a big one. I zig zagged wire over the top for Mr. Hawk and then ran it down and did a loop about 12 inches up and then a loop about 4 inches off the ground.
It works and works quite well! I have several neighborhood dogs that will never get near that run again! I can only hope Mr. Hawk gets bit as well!

Back
Top Bottom