Hawk?

Terri12868

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
I think a hawk took one of my hens. 3:30 I let them out came out a hour latter to find some feathers and 1of my four hens missing. So now hat can I do? They love free ranging. They did not seemed phased by their missing friend. I have a large dog and cat.

I don't know about your dog specifically, but even well behaved dogs that mind the hens well can go after em.
My neighbors dog once got ahold of my girls during free range, I went out and saw only feathers, no chickens. I found 3 of the 4 around mine and other people's properties and the fourth was nowhere to be found. Several hours later I was returning from some errands, amd there she was; Hiding in the tree line and brambles that run along an adjacent neighbors property. A little shook up, but alive and well she was. And I have red sexlinks which are known for their vulnerability to predators of all types. Anyway, there's still hope that she will return home, if your dog was behind it. In some cases they don't return for a number of days!

Reading more now I think it was a fox b/c she was a silver Wyondotte. Hawk would not have been able to carry her away. We searched the area. My 90 yr old aunt thought she saw a fox running across our yard in MI. I am certain it was not our dog. I am surprise a fox would come so close with the scent of our large dog everywhere.:(

Trust me. Foxes are the most brazen predators there are. Usually when our birds free range, our large dog is out watching them. Nothing has ever been taken on his watch.
One gorgeous day last spring the dog was out with the chickens for most of the day. I had to run a quick errand in the neighborhood so popped him back in the house and took off. I was gone only 15 minutes and came home to find my mother in law in the yard with a broom. She had seen a fox and come out. When we gathered the chickens one was gone with no trace.
All I can figure is the fox was watching and as long as the dog was out he did nothing. When the dog went in he made his move.
Another time I was out with the chickens and a fox came up the hill, realized I was there and took off.
Our property is patrolled by three dogs (One of which is the chickens' guardian and takes his duties seriously.) yet predators will come around when the dogs are in.

Back
Top Bottom