Hawks and other birds of prey--kill or not?

I agree with all the reasons already stated, and one more. It's pointless. If you kill off the raptors in your area new ones will just move in and take over that territory. It would be fighting a losing battle. I have a covered run, and the biddies can't go outside to play unless we are outside with them, but they seem pretty happy anyway, being alive and all.

I agree with RedHen
i wouldnt kill them because they are beautiful creatures that are just trying to eat and survive. I cant hate them for that.

I chose to live in the woods and therefore I make an effort to keep my hens safe from Raptors by covering their runs. Last Thursday I saw a Bald Eagle flying low following the road in front of our home. It made a turn taking it almost over my coops and headed over the woods toward the State Park & Lake which is only a few miles north of us. It was a magnificent bird and I was happy to see it although I don't want it looking for a chicken dinner. I actually think it was following the road looking for some of the plentiful roadkill.​

Last edited:
Actually you can be arrested and fined for harassing them--i.e. pulling down nests. I suppose, theoretically, throwing rocks or shooting rockets at them could qualify.

Quote:
Yes they mate for life, so do geese, pigeons, and parrots. Now if one does die, then they will take another mate.

Myself I love the bird of prey...have a pr of redtail that nest in my woods every year. Coopers do take a few of my freerange chicken, but heck i can hatch alot more. If they show up, just keep the chicken up a few days, and let them out in the afternoon, hope by that time the hawks have already eaten..

Oh for anyone thinking about kill any..remember some birds have GPS tracking. Ohio I know track all the peregrine raised in the large cities here.

here is a link to there peregrine site...for anyone like watching , the bird cam site in Columbus Ohio.

http://ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/falcons/Default.aspx

Last edited:
There's quite a few by my house, I usually just go out there and shoo them away. I've looked at them with binoculors (sp) and t be honest, I really don't find them that magnificent. The bald eagles on the other hand are beautiful.

The coopers hawks are just plain cute, red tails are just annoying. Always eyeing up my chickies, not cool. But I wouldn't kill them.

Quote:
I have never lost a bird to redtail hawks....they prey mostly on small animals. Yes they will take birds , but i never worry about them, have alot of the wild prey they like. now the coopers got the nickname chicken hawk for a reason

Quote:
I have never lost a bird to redtail hawks....they prey mostly on small animals. Yes they will take birds , but i never worry about them, have alot of the wild prey they like. now the coopers got the nickname chicken hawk for a reason

that almost makes me laugh, the only chickens I've ever had Killed by a raptor has been red tailed hawks.
hmm.png

I watch those little coopers hawks catch mice in the pasture all the time... Little devils, I bet those mice are just appetizers. They're trying to play innocent:cool:

A pair of hawks nest in my yard every year, plus there is an owl that comes through intermittently. I figure it would be hypocritical of me to kill them when I am against people killing racoons, skunks, foxes, or bears, so I just built a covered run. It might cost more, but it's worth my peace of mind, and it's worth my clean conscience knowing that I am choosing to let a beautiful creature live rather than destroying its life. If a predator gets your animals, it's up to you to change, not the predator. It's our job to protect our pets. Sometimes that proves to be expensive, but it's something we agree to when we obtain them if we are responsible owners.

Back
Top Bottom