Hawks in the air not 1 but 4....things that make you go Hmmmmm

We have bald eagles here now, also. They are fabulous. Right now they are working on the raccoon population, which doesnt break my heart one bit. But if they can take a raccoon, a chicken would be nothing for them. They don't come close to my back yard, so they must be finding all the food they need. I do have hawks flying around, but have not had a problem with them. But then again, I don't free range in the open without adult supervision.

I love raptors, they are just wonderful to watch.

While I do worry about hawks getting at my chickens, I must admit that I do love watching raptors. A few years ago we were doing a job in a high rise building. While eating lunch and looking out a large window on the 27th floor, I witnessed a peregrine falcon make a kill on a pigeon not 10' out from the window. Incredible.

If you want to see bald eagles right now is the time to do it in Missouri. Two of my sons live in SW Missouri, one in Monette and one in Purdy and they constantly see hundreds of wintering eagles. The commercial chicken houses take their dead chickens out into adjacent fields and the overwintering eagles have come to depend on them for food. My mother was there for Xmas and Scott took her out to see eagles and she is still talking about how exciting to see hundred of them.

The red-tailed hawks definitely go after our large fowl here. It's our toughest predator problem.

My understanding is that the red-tailed hawks' most preferred food is pheasants and if they live in an area where they're plentiful, will predominantly eat them. That explains why they like to go after chickens. Besides the fact that it's so much easier to hunt something that will stand out in the middle of the lawn.
sad.png

Quote:
Bald eagles are fish eagles ,so their main prey are fish. See them mostly around bodys of water.

LOL,
I know that Bald Eagles prefer fish but as far as the body of water thing do a google earth check of Cut Off Louisiana. If not for the levees I would live in a body of water.
Tim
smile.png

Last edited:
Oh yes all eagle, most hawk can take chickens.
Bald Eagle prefer Fish.
Redtail prefer animals, like coons, rats, and etc.
Cooper prefer birds.

Coopers have take many of my pheasants,and chickens.

I just lost one of my sweet banty hens to a hawk. I'm scared he'll be back. Sad for me, my roos didn't fight! So, my question, please list what 'defense' I can use. My coop is safe, it's only when I let them out to free range for a few hours that they are vulnerable.

Quote:
Sad! So sorry for your banty.

Here are some things I've heard that can be used against hawks:

1. Cover: Netting over as much of their ranging area as you can
2. String wires across their area overhead like a spider web
3. Fake owl, available in H/W and garden stores
4. Attract crows w/ peanuts, cat food, and other treats
5. Hang old CD's, mylar balloons, cans... shiny stuff that moves can scare them

That's what comes to mind. We do all of that; I try to do whatever will get in the way of a hawk's dive. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom