#*+#! Hawks!!!

kareninthesun

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
So I've got the grill going, the older chickens are free ranging, the five week old girls are in their covered outside pen. I go in the kitchen to get veggies and hear major stress noises from the babes. I get to the door before the dogs and see a hawk sitting ON TOP of the pen netting. All the chicks are screaming, huddled tightly in a large planter I put on it's side and added hay to. I'm hollering like crazy, and I swear we lock eyes before it slowly lifts off. Slowly circles and leaves. The bigger girls are very silent, huddled under the large snail plant. Took forever to calm the little ones, and the others were very cautious. Hate hawks!!!

I have seen many hawks clinging to my cage wire trying to get in. When I throw rocks they just move off a bit and come back later.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I hate hawks, skunks and snakes. However, they do play a major role in balancing out the eco-system. Hawks eat rabbits, mice, snakes, etc... For example, if you had a field that contained no mice, no rabbits, no snakes, etc... I doubt you'd see any predators because they would have nothing to eat.

Best way to get rid of a hawk? Don't let them get a free meal.

The Migratory Bird act of 1918 makes it a Federal Crime to kill, harass, disturb the nest, or possess the carcass or feathers of migratory birds (with exceptions). Hawks and other raptors are strictly protected and you risk a $10,000 fine for killing one. Most of the members of this board have had a run in with hawks...you just have to protect your birds as best you can and hope for the best. Above all.....don't shoot one!

Quote:
I was told that here in TN you can shoot one if it is killing your livestock. Not that I could even if I wanted to (no gun) but was I given bad info?

Back
Top Bottom