Hawks :(

So cute with your little silkies waiting to get out! There are some great ideas here. What if you don't have a handy husband????? I am going to try to find someone to help me piece together something like this!

How long do you leave them out in this? They can stay safe even if you aren't out in the yard? Do you have tie downs or does it just sit on the ground? Your chickens are beautiful!

I am so proud of my roosters they did a great job. The hawk was back today I went out to get the mail and I saw him I need a new game plan to keep them safe There is conservation land across the street from me I must be crazy it's just free food for them I was in my basement when it happened I heard a lot of noise and then I say my hen Mabel get body slammed into the basement window I went running out and all I saw was feathers everywhere the hawk already taken off my daughter check the shed and said Mabel wasn't there my neighbor came running over to help I went looking for her everyone had her gone but not me I don't give up that easy I have been battling cancer for 2 years and they are my therapy chickens we back in the shed to check on everybody and she came out of hidden my neighbor was shock she was still alive but not me today she doing fine eating and drinking she lay a egg.

Our attack was Tues. evening and all day Wed. the hawk was seen off and on in the tree line that runs between our land and the neighbors. Haven't seen him as much the last 2 days but I am not taking any more chances;O((

If an attack happens (even if its not successful), I would not let anyone free range for a few days. Birds of prey are smart, and they will keep returning if they know there is an opportunity. Keeping them in for a few days may throw them off. If it keeps happening over and over, your poor birds will be stressed too. After the hawk ate our duck, there were a lot less eggs for a few weeks. Everyone was stressed, you could totally tell. Plus, the very next day, I saw that bugger flying low circles around my yard!!!!
somad.gif

I realize there are some people here that don't mind if they lose one maybe cause that is natural. Hey, maybe they have 50 chickens and don't care? I only have 6 chickens. If a bunch of them get picked off by a hawk, I'm going to feel it! I always say, if something is going to eat them, its going to be US, not them!!!!

Back
Top Bottom