hay bale trick

omelette'smom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Last year my girls fooled me by hiding a huge nest behind a hay bale. So I just got permission so to speak from dh to "go ahead"-"whatever". So I put 7 eggs behind a fresh haybale and shooed my biggest meannie back there. She acted like it was christmas and jumped right on them!! Wish us luck!! First hatch if she stays on them!!

Good luck with it! I let mine hatch out in the nest boxes, then put them in the bales after a couple of days. Seems to be working perfectly. I got the idea from my neighbors chickens. They did the same thing yours did, except they came out with several little fuzzy butts after a few weeks.

Last year my girls fooled me by hiding a huge nest behind a hay bale. So I just got permission so to speak from dh to "go ahead"-"whatever". So I put 7 eggs behind a fresh haybale and shooed my biggest meannie back there. She acted like it was christmas and jumped right on them!! Wish us luck!! First hatch if she stays on them!!

I asked this question on another thread - but still don't have an answer. Does this mean that hens can "go broody" and hatch eggs WITHOUT plucking our their chest feathers? Never had a broody hen, and I want one, but they all still have feathers, so I figure, nothing's happing.​

Quote:
clap.gif
gig.gif
hehehehehehehehe!!!!! I'm with you! I used to say "do you mind if I.... blah, blah, blah. Now I say, "I'm going to....blah, blah, blah."

I've learned it's much better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

I think all my hens are gonna go broody before the end of spring. Everyone that has soo far has plucked the feathers off their belly. But it seems like they didn't do it until they decided to sit on the eggs for a couple of days. I was getting quit the scare when I'd walk out to the yard and see a fresh pile of feathers, only to walk in the coop and see another hen just waiting patiently!

I have 3 broody banties and neither has plucked out their feathers. Maybe this is the reason all but 2 eggs spoiled.
idunno.gif
Maybe I need to let them know. The only feathers I have plucked are the back of my hens. Darn Roosters.
lau.gif

I was hoping to keep this thread going but it appears she's just as mean mentally as she is physically!
tongue.gif
I told hubbs before I left for work that if she stops sitting than I will collect them in the A.M. I let the girls out just now and the nest was empty but for one egg. He must've grabbed them last night. I guess she was just kidding. (So I put a new clutch in it!!) The dad is Le Fleche. 2 bantum eggs, one green, 2 lt brown. We're gonna try this again! I will post a new thread tomorrow if some wonderful bare bellied girl cozies up to them! Thanks for the luck wishes!!

Back
Top Bottom