Is my duck egg bound?

quackkquack_

Songster
Jun 30, 2022
Is my duck egg bound or stressed or something else?

A little backstory:
I just came home about an hour ago and I immediately went to check my ducks. I noticed when I went to check on them Newt was in her nesting box and she was just staring at me, not quacking, which isn't like herself so I went inside expecting her to talk up a storm (shes constantly quacking when I get near her) but she didn't.
She quacked two or three times so I assumed she was laying eggs but she stood up and I didn't see any eggs (which note that she hasn't laid for a few days now but shes gone in her nesting box and messed with the hay but never laid, I assumed maybe she was taking a break?).
I saw a piece of hay stuck in her butt fluff so I went ahead and removed it. I noticed she was panting so I thought maybe she was too hot and I led her to their kiddie pool and she went in it and thats when I noticed she has a stringy white poo hanging out of her vent and it wasn't coming off in the water.
I quickly went inside and got a baby rag to wipe her to see what was going on, she let me hold her and pet her (which is very strange, me and her used to be very close when she was younger but ever since I put her in an enclosure where she had to be with Buzzard aka her mate she got mad so I've been slowly trying to rekindle our relationship which hasn't been working but that's a story for another time)
I wiped her with the baby rag and I checked her vent which looked fine. Her abdomen looks a little big like shes got an egg to lay.

Her only symptoms are she hasn't been laying, shes not moving around as much or as fast as she usually does (hence why shes letting me pick her up without any problems) and whatever that stringy white poo was.
She just started acting like this today. I'm not sure if its egg bound or what but if it is, how do I get the egg out of her? I heard that egg binding can be dangerous and I don't want Newt to die, she means a lot to me and her birthday is only two days away.

Is my duck egg bound or stressed or something else?

A little backstory:
I just came home about an hour ago and I immediately went to check my ducks. I noticed when I went to check on them Newt was in her nesting box and she was just staring at me, not quacking, which isn't like herself so I went inside expecting her to talk up a storm (shes constantly quacking when I get near her) but she didn't.
She quacked two or three times so I assumed she was laying eggs but she stood up and I didn't see any eggs (which note that she hasn't laid for a few days now but shes gone in her nesting box and messed with the hay but never laid, I assumed maybe she was taking a break?).
I saw a piece of hay stuck in her butt fluff so I went ahead and removed it. I noticed she was panting so I thought maybe she was too hot and I led her to their kiddie pool and she went in it and thats when I noticed she has a stringy white poo hanging out of her vent and it wasn't coming off in the water.
I quickly went inside and got a baby rag to wipe her to see what was going on, she let me hold her and pet her (which is very strange, me and her used to be very close when she was younger but ever since I put her in an enclosure where she had to be with Buzzard aka her mate she got mad so I've been slowly trying to rekindle our relationship which hasn't been working but that's a story for another time)
I wiped her with the baby rag and I checked her vent which looked fine. Her abdomen looks a little big like shes got an egg to lay.

Her only symptoms are she hasn't been laying, shes not moving around as much or as fast as she usually does (hence why shes letting me pick her up without any problems) and whatever that stringy white poo was.
She just started acting like this today. I'm not sure if its egg bound or what but if it is, how do I get the egg out of her? I heard that egg binding can be dangerous and I don't want Newt to die, she means a lot to me and her birthday is only two days away.
I read that you can give an egg bound duck a warm bath so since it's dark outside I brought her in and am giving her a warm bath. Shes definitely not constipated (she took a big poo!) but shes still panting.
Again I'm not sure if she is egg bound but I'm still giving her a bath just in case.

Back
Top Bottom