1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hay or straw? help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ksct, Nov 4, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I've been using shavings from TSC for the floor of the coop but I like to use straw in the nest boxes......
    should we be using straw or hay? I THOUGHT there was something mentioned on here somewhere about that but I can't seem to find it. Does it matter? We get bales from a farmer we know locally but I don't know if we should be using straw or hay? does it matter?
    Thanks!!!!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Hay will get moldy faster than straw. Straw would be better than hay.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've always used hay. I get it at a neighbor's house. I change it out once a week - more often if necessary - and my coop is very dry, so I've never had a problem with using it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    I use straw but have used hay in a pinch. Much prefer the straw. Hay seems to mat down too much and not as absorbent. IMO

5. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    Hay is generally much more expensive than straw, as it is primarily intended as a feed source for horses, cows, etc. Straw is a "waste product", relatively cheap, and ideal for animal bedding.

6. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:hope this isnt considered a hyjack...sorry if it is..

Is there a reason you shouldn't use the shavings in the nest boxes also? That's what is in ours...is this a bad idea for some reason?

7. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    It's not bad. . . I use a mix of shavings and straw, mostly because the hens have too much fun with the straw and end up throwing it out of the nest boxes!

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I use hay because I can seldom find straw around here. Bermuda hay works well in nest boxes provided you don't allow it to get wet much.

.....Alan.

9. i buy regular baled hay , and if itdoesn't rain every day I try to clean my coop at least once a month. Today has been the first time in almost 3 months EVERYTHING has dried out enought to really clean the coop. I use pieces of tin under the roost to catch the poop on the hay, easier to remove and dump in garden, wash the tin and replace with new hay, I use lots of DE on the new hay and nests so any mites or anything gets de covered. marrie

10. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by