hay, straw or pine shavings???

tmpshrty96

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
hey. me and my dad are making nesting boxes and was wondering what would be best to put in them weve thought about hay, straw, and pine shavings(like stuff you put in hamster cages). which 1 of those is the best? also if there is anything else that is better than that we might could use that to??

I have found that shavings last the longest as they are less likely to get moldy than the straw or hay. I fill my nesting boxes with pine shavings and add a little bit of hay or straw on top for the hens to pull around them while they are laying. If you are planning on letting your birds set thier eggs I would skip the hay and just use pine shavings. Hope this helps - I am sure there are lots of different opinions out there, hopefully others will chime in.

I USE PINE SHAVEINGS I THINK I'VE READ HERE ON B.Y.C. THAT HAY IS HOLLOW AND CAN HOUSE MITES AND LICE
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I prefer aspin shavings as I like the smell and not as dusty.

My eggs are clean and don't need washing. I have a coworker who uses hay or straw and she says she has to wash her eggs because they have poo on them.

Any of them will work; people here use all three. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

Poopy eggs are from chickens sleeping in nests; does not matter what litter you use.

I not long got a paper shredder and thought I'd try using the shredded paper under there roost to catch the poop, well now they don't use the nesting boxes, they lay in the shredded paper under ther roost which is a real pain. I have straw in the nesting boxes and I usually use wood shavings under the roost, so maybe you can try shredded paper in your nesting boxes mine seem to prefer it lol

Hay or straw is fine, the problems with it are that 1) it can house mites (fix this by putting DE in the box), and 2) the chickens can eat it, resulting in impacted crop (fix this by ensuring they have plenty of fresh greens and grit).

Poopy eggs is due to the chickens sleeping in the nest boxes, just teach them where to sleep and you shouldn't have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom