Hay use...

Where exactly are these bald spots?

The bald spots are on the bellies a lot...and then, Whitey’s were all around her quarter panels in the rear on both sides. She was having vent issues so I went to do the lipstick trick, and found her bare skin and took pictures...which led me to take pictures of the other hens because the other BYH’ers thought by the pictures that they had lice...and, when I was looking at the birds, I could’ve swore I saw one...but...I ...can’t be 100% sure.

The neck one I can see. I might think you have a feather plucker. What are you feeding?

we buy our feed from a local place..it basically like Purina layer...during the winter we Give some all flock too and a bit of kitten food, plus veggies

Also what type of roosts do they use?

That’s just one pic of a roost..I’ll upload more from my phone. We also have this plastic orange fence that was over their top in the summer...they loved to roost in it...so we let them have a piece of it between two roost bars. Where Chris is on the ladder is the last section of of our rebuild. Done today. The old coop was only 4’ high but the whole thing is 21’x20’. With a small outlet 3’x 4’ that can be closed off for sick birds The whole thing is now 12’ high:) Right now we have 35 chickens in there. Only the older birds are affected.
6F615ADF-8E63-4CA3-A958-7BC0B863EF09.jpeg
ACC8930F-7045-4AB0-BF2E-250956754440.jpeg

Last edited:
How are those edges? You might try sanding them. It's possible feathers are being broken off while roosting if the feather loss in between the legs.

I'm personally not seeing any evidence of parasites (at least on screen).

What I am seeing is molt (bare necks) and mating breakage (vent area). My girls all have bare strips on their behinds.

Never hurts to dust them. You could always give several rounds of Ivermectin. If no resistance has built up, it will clear both internal and external parasites, just in case.

But that looks like healthy skin to me with at worst a feather picker. How much room do your girls have? What is your protein percentage in the feed? For non foraging ability (and most birds clean out small lots very quickly), I like to use a 20% protein in the winter for feather regrowth to prevent the weeks and weeks of molting.

My thoughts.
LofMc
Oh my goodness...I’ll bet youre right about needing the 20% protein..because it hasn’t effected the younger birds...they haven’t molted....so they haven’t lost feathers, nor needed to regrow feather! You figured out my issue!! I read on hear a ton of times about feeding them All Flock..and I have...just, in spurts because I also have ducks. :lol: Oh geez..Phhh...sigh...not loving that I have to tell my hubby we spent the night dusting chicken bumms for nothing!! :(. Oh well! Thank you ALL soooo much for reading all looking at my photos soo intently to solve the issue. I only wish I’d have paid better understood when reading the posts about the winter feed!

Back
Top Bottom