Hay vs. Shavings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sanchabird, Mar 8, 2014.

1. sanchabird

sanchabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    Hi! Is hay or shavings better for ducklings?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I have never used hay but I did use straw a long time ago, does not absorb at all very nasty, I vote for shavings. but the flake only because ducklings are apt to eat just about anything for the first week or so, so i would rec. shavings with clean old towels over top for at least 1st week. towels can be taken out side shaken off washed and reused. and [​IMG]
    if getting ducklings for the first time here is alot of good info.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    hay will mold very fast once wet and ducks are very wet and messy so i wouldn't use hay. i use shavings for all my chicks and ducklings and they work well

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I would skip the hay too lol shavings will be the most economical and readily available.

5. sanchabird

sanchabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    Thanks everyone, I think I :)will use shavings:)

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Highly recommend the McFeeter's brand of shavings if you can find a store here in the US that carries them. I use this for my Calls and my horses all the time...very flaky and as dust-free as you can get without buying the tiny bags of super-expensive small animal shavings sold in a pet store. I buy the McFeeter's by the pallet and save money on them that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by