HE CAME UP ON MY PORCH!!!

They WILL come back. He probably is the same one. END him.
As soon as I can.

You know, I feel like I shouldn't be so angry with him because my chickens are just barnyard mixes except four. Of those that are loose to forage, that is but I did have more and he or a relative killed them. He killed my rooster and hen both Salmon Favorolles. I was waiting for him to grow up so they could be bred and he killed her and then just about 2 weeks ago he killed my Little Roo.

He doesn't seem to bother the geese, probably because they can really whack with their wings. I wish they would gather in a mob and go after him. Maybe he wouldn't come back.

Quote: You shouldn't be angry at the coon because you left your birds vulnerable by not securing them safely at night....
.....and relocated a problem animal, which is not a good idea for several reasons.

The wrist trap is the best, then he'll hold still so you can shoot him...oh, yeah he will.
Good Luck to ya!

When they roost on your porch at night , pick them up and put them in the coop and lock them in there for a week then they will go in their every night after.
Catch and release is bad. All it does is kill someone else's chickens.

....My husband didn't want to get the wrist traps because he wanted to trap and release....

The best information I currently have is that it is a federal as well as a state crime in all 50 states to release a raccoon in any location other than in the exact same location that you trapped him.

This is to facilitate the federal program to eradicate rabies in the wild raccoon population. Sorry but I think that others here will agree that it is the height of irresponsible behavior to train a raccoon to avoid a trap.

By following this law you may also help prevent a child, maybe even your own child from contracting the rabies virus.

Last edited:
I would shoot him..I trapped a couple and skunks to I had no chickens, i shoot them in the trap. I had a coon get in my fence and when my dog tried to run it out the little turd turned around and whacked her in the nose with his claws. She is a huge xlarge breed dog and that coon was going to take her on. But she came yelping to my back door with a huge open wound on her nose, an inch more and he would have surely blinded her. That was the first coon I trapped and i was heartless in killing it to be truthful...I had to vet the dog and contain her thank god she had not got nothing from the coon. But she still has her battle wound 9 years later the hair just barely covers it and she has a lump on her nose from it. Those things are really fearless that coon took on 145lb dog. So kill it chickens weigh a fraction of that.

If you want to live trap him--- secure your hens in the coop--- put some tasty food scraps in a trash can on its side somewhere. Do this for 2-3 nights and let him eat unbothered, then tie open your box trap- put it in the same trash can on its side with some lovely garbage scraps and let him eat out of the tied open trap in the trash can for 2-3 nights. Then when he is comfortable going in to eat set your trap, but keep it in the trash can. I find the best coon bait to be a cheap roll of ready to bake cookie dough, slice off a inch thick round and toss into back of trap. Doing the relocation yourself can get you in trouble w/ the law in some places, your animal control officer may remove nuisance animals for free. good luck

Try a "giving" your flock to a Border Collie! They take their job very seriously! Have you tried baiting the live trap with tuna? Not too
many carnivores can resist it.. Good luck. Hope you find resolution soon

Killing a raccoon is the only way to get rid of it, raccoons will take chickens during daylight hours as well. I wish you luck catching it they are extremely smart.

Back
Top Bottom