He was supposed to be Buff Orpington!

Hello,
I need assistance identifying what breed this rooster is. I bought 4 straight run Buff Orpingtons from a farm and this one just didn't look like the others from about a week on. He was a lighter yellow and as he grew became whiter. He gradually developed brown edges (lacing) on his wings then his tail. He has some hackle feathers that brown with stripes. I think he is very pretty, but I don't think he is a BO. Can anyone help me identify what he is?
Thank you!
Wow, he looks very similar to the "buff orpington" I got as part of a straight run from Tractor Supply. Here's my link if you want to see my bird: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/can-anyone-identify-the-breed.1614135/

Public Service Announcement (lol) ~
I contacted animalgenetics.com via email and immediately received a response from an unknown email address, not affiliated with animalgenetics.com
I immediately reached out to them via phone and they said it was not an email from their organization and any emailed response should come from @animalgenetics.com
When I read her the email address (so that they could take it up with their security team), the lady I spoke to thought it looked familiar but wasn't sure. She thought it might be because [email protected] is supposed to be redirecting to [email protected]
I'm only sharing that information because there could be more paranoid people like me who think everyone is out to steal their personal information!! lol
Anyway, I am also sending this because animalgenetics.com DOES NOT provide DNA testing for specific breeds, according to the woman I spoke with. They can only tell sex (which I already know) and markers for potential genetic diseases that the animal may get.
So I'm going to continue my search for someone who can tell the specific breed...
It will be a happy day if he IS confirmed to be a Yokohama because from what I've seen on the internet, they're on the critical endangered list, yet strangely, you can still purchase the eggs/chicks online if you have a mind to try to breed them. Be forewarned though, from what I've read most all of them die before reaching maturity - which would certainly account for them being on the critical endangered list!
Given all of the information I've read, chances are my pretty little boy is NOT a true Yokohama because he's still alive after 6 months and shows no sign of slowing down. He also doesn't express some of the known traits of this breed (extremely friendly, even flying up on your shoulder to hang out for a while, and 'not' very fast - mine is a lightening bolt when he sees a hen!). But because he bears a striking resemblance to this breed, I'm going to bite the bullet and have him tested if I can find an outfit capable of the test.
Wish me luck!!

Back
Top Bottom