head injury and paralyzed wing......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Jul 16, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have a 3 mo. old Naked neck pullet. She had a pretty deep wound on the back of her head at the base of her skull like she has been pecked HARD. She is walking but kind in a hunched manner and her wing on her right side seems to be paralyzed or she is just unable to move it. Has been a healthy bird up to this point with no other problems. She is eating and drinking, I have separated her from the others. Would a head injury cause this sort of problem? I am not sure there is anything I can do to help her, there is already a large scab over the wound but it's still bleeding some, should I put neosporen or something on it?

2. gd4sumthnmom

gd4sumthnmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    There may be a severed nerve that is causing her wing to be like that. The base of the skull is a bad place for a wound like that no matter what kind of animal it is. I wouldn't even know what to tell you, but watch it and if it and make sure the other chickens don't attack her and I would definately use an antibiotic ointment on it and maybe clean it with fresh water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by