Head shaking, multiple chickens

Yes, I do have some updates! I sent a chick in for necropsy and they couldn't find anything that could cause it. The pathologists concluded that it was normal behavior.

I find it really interesting that yours only started after treating for ectoparasites because mine only started head-shaking after my first treatment with permethrin as well (I had a lice infestation that needed it). So it wasn't actually the bugs themselves causing the shaking... go figure.
Weird! I wondered how long it stays in their system, and finally FINALLY found this article: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7343077/ Apparently it can still be found in them on day 42. It's been almost a month since I used permethrin on them, so I'm hoping that as time goes on, if this was the cause, it will leave their system and the head-shaking will slowly go away.

My birds seem to be doing it much less than they were -- it's now limited to when loud noises occur (which is normal). So again, makes me wonder if there's some connection to the permethrin. Like with your flock, some birds seem to be more prone to it than others. I have a Buff Orpington rooster who still does it more than the others.
Glad it's going away for your birds! It's significantly decreased in my flock but my Golden Laced Wyandotte and the silver laced Wyandotte-Rhode Island Red sex-links shook more than anyone. And the two who passed away from coccidiosis (one was a rhode island red, the other a sex link) were also really bad. Ester Sue, one of the sex links, was especially bad - she survived.

Coccidia was diagnosed in my flock a couple of weeks ago as well, but luckily I haven't lost any birds to it. They didn't seem to shake their heads any more than before.

Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you didn't lose any birds! I didn't know what I was dealing with, I thought at first it was because I didn't clean the cage they were staying in at night (we have since moved them to the chicken house) often enough and the ammonia was getting to them. When the move to the house didn't change anything, I suspected the feed (I just swapped them to layer). When that wasn't the case, I asked on here and was told coccidiosis. By then, it was too late for two of them but managed to get one to take the meds with a syringe and she survived.

Thanks for the update!

This is very interesting. I'm watching our friends/neighbors chickens while they're away and am concerned about head shaking. There are 13 and they are constantly shaking their heads. They also look pretty rough. They're missing loads of feathers. It's very cold here, so seems odd they'd be molting so late in the season, but this is my first year with our own chickens too, so I could be wrong.

They would not have treated with anything for mites or otherwise and I have never seen them so this before, but I will check for mites tomorrow.

This is very interesting. I'm watching our friends/neighbors chickens while they're away and am concerned about head shaking. There are 13 and they are constantly shaking their heads. They also look pretty rough. They're missing loads of feathers. It's very cold here, so seems odd they'd be molting so late in the season, but this is my first year with our own chickens too, so I could be wrong.

They would not have treated with anything for mites or otherwise and I have never seen them so this before, but I will check for mites tomorrow.
Yes, definitely could be mites or some other external parasites but if it isn't I would guess it's just bits of shed feather follicles and dander that they're shaking off.

Some hens (the better layers IMO) molt in the middle of winter and do it quickly. Just makes us feel bad for them.

Yes, definitely could be mites or some other external parasites but if it isn't I would guess it's just bits of shed feather follicles and dander that they're shaking off.

Some hens (the better layers IMO) molt in the middle of winter and do it quickly. Just makes us feel bad for them.
Thanks for this! I will check 'em today and keep an eye on it!

My hens have started doing this and are showing no signs of external parasites. I have a theory, and I wanted to see if the circumstances match anyone else who is dealing with this problem. My rooster is loud. I have never heard a louder rooster and I work at an animal Sanctuary surrounded by them. He also likes to crow for around 2 hours every morning in their enclosed coop. I know hens don't have the same anatomical protection in their ear canals as roosters and I wondered if due to close quarters and his love of screaming bloody murder if he is causing ear damage/distress to the Hens? It is a bit of a shot in the dark but I cannot find any other culprit and I can't seem to find anyone else who has found a definite answer.

My hens have started doing this and are showing no signs of external parasites. I have a theory, and I wanted to see if the circumstances match anyone else who is dealing with this problem. My rooster is loud. I have never heard a louder rooster and I work at an animal Sanctuary surrounded by them. He also likes to crow for around 2 hours every morning in their enclosed coop. I know hens don't have the same anatomical protection in their ear canals as roosters and I wondered if due to close quarters and his love of screaming bloody murder if he is causing ear damage/distress to the Hens? It is a bit of a shot in the dark but I cannot find any other culprit and I can't seem to find anyone else who has found a definite answer.
I have 1 hen doing this now.
She has been in a new coop for 3 to 4 days with a loud hen.

No parasites or mites, brand new coop.

I put her back in run for a hours today and she stopped.

Hmmmmm.

Your theory is making me compare.

Came on here to see hlif any if these hens shaking their heads was resolved? I had 1 bird a few days ago doing this. I removed her from the flock for 2 nights but she snapped out if her lethargy and this morning I put her back in the coop. Only a few hours later another hen has started shaking her head just like your videos. Both of those hens were Merk vaccinated as chics. They are 11 months old and both from same breeder. Im worried. I dont know what this is or how to fix it.

Came on here to see hlif any if these hens shaking their heads was resolved? I had 1 bird a few days ago doing this. I removed her from the flock for 2 nights but she snapped out if her lethargy and this morning I put her back in the coop. Only a few hours later another hen has started shaking her head just like your videos. Both of those hens were Merk vaccinated as chics. They are 11 months old and both from same breeder. Im worried. I dont know what this is or how to fix it.
Check for lice/mites, look inside the ears for infection and make sure their crops are emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom