Head Shaking!!!

KarenP

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Westport
I have 3 chicks about 5 weeks old. They are shaking their heads quite a bit. I have been taking them outside during the day for fresh air. Is it possible they are doing this because their adult feathers are growing on their head or should i treat them for mites? I've never seen mites, so i don't know what to look for. Are they even old enough to be treated?

I have had this happen too. I had 2 red sex link chicks that did this all the time. I got really scared because it was happening every second and i thought they were having a seizure. Later on, one of them died, but the other one is still living and has grown into a sweet, healthy hen! I however, do not belive the death had anything to do with the head shaking. A few weeks after that, we got another RSL. That one did it too!! She also, is still alive and i dont thing ive seen a healthier chicken!! A few days ago, i was holding her at night and she started doing it again!!
So as a summary, i dont think its a problem. the one that i had that died, well.... i dont think the death had anything to do with the head shaking! I dont really know what it is, but i dont think its a problem!
Hope i helped!!

Sometimes this can just be from talking, certain breeds are more sensitive to noise.

Feathering coming in on the head can aggravate this also.

There are other reasons why the chicks may be doing this- mites are a possibility and some resporatory diseases can cause head shaking. To check for mites you will need to check at different times, day & night. The Northern fowl mite ( very common and hard to get rid of & hard to detect) can be seen at night in the dark. Use a flashlight or red light, they move very quickly and actually hide in the feather shafts. Lift the wing and see if you see anything, check the vent- if very bare than this is suspect, and the head too. Silkies and polish are very suseptable around the head area.
You can treat them with diatomaceous earth or seven dust. Even though they are young its better than them getting totally infested and dying of anemia.

Resporatory Diseases can also cause head shaking. It will be VERY frequent sometimes almost constant. They might not even have any other symptoms. It's causedby the air sacs becoming thickened ,filled with exudates and they shake to try to free the 'plugs' to dilodge them so to speak.
Young chicks don't always show signs of a CRD like big girls do. On that note are the chicks seperate, and quarantined from all other birds? How is your biosecurity?

More than likely it's 1 of the first 2. I get nervous too and have experienced all senarios.
smile.png

Yes the chicks are in a cage inside the house and never with my older chickens. I think i am over protective and afraid of them getting every disease possible. All i do is worry about these chickens. This is worst than having children!!!
barnie.gif

My chickens shook their heads about every 5-15 seconds when they had the Northern Fowl Mite. I treated and retreated in around 10 days, and this cured them.

Also they shake their heads if we are all inside the shed and I talk to them.

But the mite shaking was definitely mites, and definitely GONE after treatment. They came back 4 months later and I treated them again (the head shaking started and stopped, right on cue).

Now I treat every 4 months just to be safe.

Quote:
I'm curious how you treated them for the fowl mites. I used a poultry dust for mine but was leary about getting any on their head so as not to get it in their eyes. Three of my girls are shaking their heads like crazy but I'm wondering if it also has something to do with feathers re-growing on the back of their necks and their backs. I rescued them from a breeding operation and an over zealous rooster
hmm.png
Also, in the off chance that it's a respiratory infection, I have Duramyacin on hand and could treat them with that but would it still be ok to eat their eggs?

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate any information you might have. I know I wouldn't want to be shaking my head every 5 seconds and would like to help them! Thanks!

Quote:
I'm curious how you treated them for the fowl mites. I used a poultry dust for mine but was leary about getting any on their head so as not to get it in their eyes. Three of my girls are shaking their heads like crazy but I'm wondering if it also has something to do with feathers re-growing on the back of their necks and their backs. I rescued them from a breeding operation and an over zealous rooster
hmm.png
Also, in the off chance that it's a respiratory infection, I have Duramyacin on hand and could treat them with that but would it still be ok to eat their eggs?

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate any information you might have. I know I wouldn't want to be shaking my head every 5 seconds and would like to help them! Thanks!

Try using sevin dust instead of poultry dust if you are sure that it's mites. Redust them again in 10 days. You also have to dust the inside of their house and repeat again in 10 days. Ear mites can cause head shaking, a few drops of vegetable oil in each ear using an eyedropper will suffocate them. They would look like black pepper inside the ear canal. Are there any other signs that it's a respiratory infection? Such as; sneezing, weezing, gurgling, snotty nostrils, bubbling eyes, ear wax showing outside the ears etc...? If not, I dont recommend using an antibiotic, that should only be used as a last resort if you see or hear of one of the symptoms I mentioned. BTW; duramycin egg withdrawal is 21 days.

Quote:
hmm.png

Try using sevin dust instead of poultry dust if you are sure that it's mites. Redust them again in 10 days. You also have to dust the inside of their house and repeat again in 10 days. Ear mites can cause head shaking, a few drops of vegetable oil in each ear using an eyedropper will suffocate them. They would look like black pepper inside the ear canal. Are there any other signs that it's a respiratory infection? Such as; sneezing, weezing, gurgling, snotty nostrils, bubbling eyes, ear wax showing outside the ears etc...? If not, I dont recommend using an antibiotic, that should only be used as a last resort if you see or hear of one of the symptoms I mentioned. BTW; duramycin egg withdrawal is 21 days.

Thank you, I will look into getting some Sevin dust asap. I also have some stuff that will treat ear mites in cats/kittens and I'm wondering if that would work, too, although I do like the more natural approach with the vegetable oil. There are no other signs that it's a respiratory infection. Aside from the usual sneeze when they're eating something that requires them wiping their beaks on something that's it. Thanks very much for the info on the Duramyacin. I was really hesitant to use any sort of an antibiotic until I knew for sure what was going on.

Quote:
hmm.png

Sevin dust. Also I use regular poultry dust (permethrin) sometimes. But with the active infestations sevin dust was the one I used. That was last year. The very very first time I also used Eprinex pour on along with the sevin.

There is a withdrawal time associated with Sevin dust where you toss the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom