head upside down acting confused

earthfriendlyfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Ellijay
my adult buff orphinton I just found sitting on the ground with her head in a backwards or odd position. I cannot find anything about what it may be except poison. I sure need some ideas about what to do for her. I think she may die if I cant figure out the problem. thank you

Is her head thrown back, as if looking at the stars? Look up threads on star gazing and wry neck. I don't really know, but I believe you can try treating with B vitamins, particularly thiamine and folic acid, I think. You can give them some infant vitamin drops, bought at feed stores or drug stores.

Thank you...yes her head is doing more of a snake thing. The rest of her seems to be okay, but she has her head upside down or swaying around like a snake. Confusing cuz her right eye looks up when she settles a bit. I did find a link regarding wry neck, and have changed what I was giving her last night, which was I thought perhaps caused by a virus, (olive leaf extract, colloidal silver, rescue remedy) to what I am giving her now, which is the suggested vitamin treatment you wrote of...vitamin E, selenium, and vitamin b-6/b-12/folic acid, only because I do not have a total vitamin B capsule, or brewers yeast. And today is Christmas, so I have to make due until tomorrow when I can purchase both.

She still has a bit of food in her crop from yesterday, and i worred cuz she did not poop last night...but on the drive home she did bless me with a great gift. I have not tried to feed her, but have been hourly giving her 4 or 5 ccs of water with cell salts in it. We will see. I think I have a good shot at her getting better. I pray anyway. Daisy is so sweet.

Well the odd thing now is in the night and morning hours she goes back to her upside down snake head thing. it seems like it also happens when she gets stressed.....like when I go to pick her up for meds etc. But once she settles a bit she is almost upright head wise again. I got the poly vi sol yesterday and gave her her first dose this morning. I put some wind chimes in the room with her to entertain her, and i keep hearing her chatting with or to the chimes.. So cute. Still waiting for upright.

Back
Top Bottom