Chick Not Lifting Head

Ashley Benningfield

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2023
I'm raising a few 2-week-old chicks and I noticed tonight that one of the chicks is suddenly not acting completely normal. Today she won't totally lift her head to look forwards or up like she was just yesterday. The pics I have aren't great since she was moving around a lot, but they show how she is holding her head right now. She is still eating, drinking, running and scratching around like normal and the others are all perfectly fine. This developed overnight and I've never had a chick have this kind of issue before. Please let me know if you have any idea what may possibly be wrong or what I can do to help her. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_E6611.JPG
    IMG_E6611.JPG
    372.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_E6623.JPG
    IMG_E6623.JPG
    566.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_E6625.JPG
    IMG_E6625.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 1
Please let me know if you have any idea what may possibly be wrong or what I can do to help her.
Possibly wry neck.. Sometimes caused by vitamin E deficit (selenium is also needed for absorption of E if supplementing) or thiamine deficiency..

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

What are you currently feeding, including treats and supplements?

Do you have access to any supplements? Poultry or human grade E or B complex.. Or are you in the US?

Possible injury?? Chicks aren't *usually* too rowdy at 2 weeks, but accidents might still happen.. Does the chick act extra annoyed (in pain) if you assist the head upwards?

Hope you find answers and that baby recovers quickly! :fl

Possibly wry neck.. Sometimes caused by vitamin E deficit (selenium is also needed for absorption of E if supplementing) or thiamine deficiency..

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

What are you currently feeding, including treats and supplements?

Do you have access to any supplements? Poultry or human grade E or B complex.. Or are you in the US?

Possible injury?? Chicks aren't *usually* too rowdy at 2 weeks, but accidents might still happen.. Does the chick act extra annoyed (in pain) if you assist the head upwards?

Hope you find answers and that baby recovers quickly! :fl
They are eating the MannaPro Med Chick feed. I found some Vit E in my med cabinet and got a tiny bit in her. I’ll go get fresh Vit E tomorrow and look for selenium too. I pulled out some poultry Nutri-Drench to try as well. I have a liquid Vit B I take that I can try too maybe.

They are eating the MannaPro Med Chick feed. I found some Vit E in my med cabinet and got a tiny bit in her. I’ll go get fresh Vit E tomorrow and look for selenium too. I pulled out some poultry Nutri-Drench to try as well. I have a liquid Vit B I take that I can try too maybe.
Get them off the medicated feed, especially if she showing symptoms of vitamin deficiency and you're treating it with vitamin deficiency.
Medicated feed contains a coccistat, a B vitamin blocker to slow the growth of coccidia. They'll cancel each other out and might compound the issue.

Get them off the medicated feed, especially if she showing symptoms of vitamin deficiency and you're treating it with vitamin deficiency.
Medicated feed contains a coccistat, a B vitamin blocker to slow the growth of coccidia. They'll cancel each other out and might compound the issue.
Good info. Thanks!

I treated her with vitamin E and B along with selenium and took them off the medicated feed for the duration of treatment. I could see better head movement within a week, and she was completely normal within a month. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom