Headless Chicken Mystery

Gammond

Songster
Aug 31, 2016
Central BC, Canada
I found a headless chicken in the coop. We have a school bus coop and I left one of the emergency exit windows propped open last night.

We have had an owl take 3 chickens so far if they are outside in the run... however, I've never left this window open... (the coop entrance is also a window, but not propped open as much)

Its breasts were gone and I also found the head 3 feet from the body... would other chickens eat the breasts? Or could an own fly in, kill the chicken, eat it, and then fly out?

I would post a picture but it's a little gross and you get the point...

I should add - I found blood dripping down the top of a vertical 2x10 that it was (I assume) roosting on.

Possible raccoon. I know weasels typically take the heads off, sometimes don't even eat anything unless it's the blood. And are IMHO, the most vicious predator even though they are tiny, can take out a whole flock in one night.

I think it could be owl of mink,,or weasel. I lean towards owl if it is a high window, in and out...If i have a hole an owl is in and out here almost immediately the first night..

As far as you having mink or weasel there I have a map showing their range:
defaultNoCap.aspx.jpg

You might want to look up if weasels or minks are in your area, because that sure sounds like how they kill. Owls don't come into confined spaces, eat, and then go back out.

not my experience.

Owls love heads. yummy.

Since you found the owl talon marks in the snow, I am sure that is the culprit.

The bigger owls are STRONG and can pry open pop doors and peal up wire.

Think Freddy Krueger claws and lock them up tight tonight.

sorry for your loss! :hugs

Fresh snow outside and my husband just found owl talon marks in the snow directly below the window. No other tracks leading to the bus. It wasn't the chickens as they don't go outside or fly well enough to only leave a launch pad print lol.

I had a rooster a couple years ago that "escaped" me on a cold night. I spend 20 minutes or so chasing the stupid bird. I lost it and could not find it. I went in and warmed up came out 15 minutes later and found his head and owl wing marks in the snow,,,,

I guess we know what got yours now. Sad, but mystery solved.

Back
Top Bottom