Headroom for ramp

ricaltman

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2017
I just built a coop but I need to know how much headroom Rode Island will need as she goes up the ramp to the nest.

Welcome to BYC! I am so glad you've joined us and we will be happy to help you with your question. Can you post a photo (or two) of the coop you have built so that we can better visualize just what you are asking? Are you building a ramp to the nest box(es) or referring to the whole structure as "the nest" and referring to the small "pop door" that the bird will pass through? Sometimes seeing things makes it easier to advise on construction.

Sorry, I thought I wasn't describing things very well. I was going to take a picture today. The distance between the ramp and the support for the floor where the chicken would have to duck it's head is about 8.5 inches. There is plenty of headroom everywhere else.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

They can probably fit thru there, but might not be comfortable doing so....so may avoid it.
Coming out will be harder than going in.
More cleats on ramp would help with traction and thus 'comfort'.
Maybe if you start them as chicks they will learn to live with it..even then they may need some 'persuasion' to master it.

Have never understood the attraction of pop doors in the coop floor.
There's the headroom issue and it eats up valuable floor space in what are usually too small coops.
Bedding falls out unless you have a good lip around the opening, which then makes it harder for the birds to navigate
Maybe it's the weather protection<shrugs> or not enough room in run for ramp....IDK.

Thanks, I can get more headroom pretty easily but then the ramp gets steeper. What might be the max comfortable angle?

Thanks, I can get more headroom pretty easily but then the ramp gets steeper. What might be the max comfortable angle?
I wouldn't make it any steeper than it is now, they might be able to go up something steeper, but coming down is harder...
........and I'd add more cleats, at least one maybe even two between each of the existing cleats.

Is there any reason you can't put the pop door in the side of the coop?

I don’t have experience with ramps like that, but I’ve had full sized large fowl hens use nests with a 6” high opening to get in and out. They can use pretty low openings. Whether they will or not is another question.

Instead of a ramp you can maybe use steps, that might give you more headroom if it is a problem. I don’t think it will be at 8-1/2”. But maybe make a staircase with a rise of 8” or 9” and make the steps 9” wide and 12” long. They should be able to walk right up and down that without a problem. Again, whether they will or not is another question. We can make it easy on them, but that doesn’t mean their brain works the same way ours does. I have used steps but not in that application.

There are 9 inches between the cleats, not enough? I guess I could have put the door in another spot, but here we are. I'd like to not make a big change. Thanks

There are 9 inches between the cleats, not enough? I guess I could have put the door in another spot, but here we are. I'd like to not make a big change. Thanks
Not more space between the cleats.....less space, so more cleats.
I'd add 2 more cleats between the ones already there.

Back
Top Bottom