HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Item it just a financial disaster, for some people it takes away beloved pets
1f622.png

Ideally, I do not believe there should be any compensation at all. It is a business with real risks. However, it is important that the farmers cooperate and operate within the system etc. Not to mention that it is our food supply, and supporting it is in all of our best interest.

There is not a logical or rational reason to compensate backyard flock owners. Taxpayers should not be obligated to support hobbies.

The level of compensation is minimal. It is a substantial loss for the farmer, and unfortunate. Especially that this is likely to be around for a while. A yearly risk, up until a vaccine is an option. Possibly they will have one ready before next spring. That is until the next strain comes through which is inevitable. It is only time that separates us from the next strain.

I am a commercial farmer. Small farm, some would say "hobby farm", but I file my Schedule F like other commercial farmers. There is a vaccine available in other parts of the world, but the US has not accepted it. It's true that it will not prevent illness. It's true that even some vaccinated birds may die. But the vaccine is designed to help build immunity in the birds and help them avoid a serious case of avian influenza.

Until the USDA allows us, as farmers, to have an option to try to protect our flocks, then it is unreasonable to say that we must assume all risk. Denying us risk mitigation means, then mandating the destruction of our livestock and income, is unreasonable. The argument is made that the destruction of the flocks is "for the public health". Yet the USDA asserts that the strain of HPAI currently causing the destruction is not a human pathogen in its present form.

For each of the young organic laying hens in my flock, my income is $100/yr, or $17500. My investment in that bird up to point of lay is about $15. So if I lose my flock of 175 layers, my out of pocket loss is $2625 but my loss of income for the amount of time it would take to leave fallow time, acquire chicks, raise them to point of lay is $8750. Instead of a gross income of $17500 for stock acquired last year to lay this year, I would be faced with minimal income and significant costs.

My turkey outlook is also bleak. 70 organic heritage turkeys would bring me an average of $90 each at market, or $6300. The cost to acquire and raise those turkeys for 28 weeks and get them processed is approximately $4500. I've already invested over $800 this year in starting my stock. If I lose my heritage poults, it's too late to start new ones for the Thanksgiving market, so instead of a break-even best case, I would be out completely. And if I lose my breeders, I will lose three years of selective breeding.

Last edited:
"Taxpayers should not be obligated to support hobbies"

It is not necessarily a hobby for a lot of backyard flock owners. There's a lot of time and money invested, and the flock does generate some revenue, if only on a smaller scale. They also provide a source of food. Counties here will compensate a poultry owner if their birds are killed by stray dogs. There is no difference in this situation, IMO.

Last edited:
.... There's a lot of time and money invested, and the flock does generate some revenue, if only on a smaller scale. They also provide a source of food.
Counties here will compensate a poultry owner if their birds are killed by stray dogs. ...
We have the same compensation here. One must apply for the compensation within 48 hours of the event and must have a witness.
The county maintains a fund supported by dog licenses. It is a state statute that all counties have to adhere to.

I know I have a major investment in my birds and have lost some to dogs. I didn't have to go the county route because the owner reimbursed me on both occasions.

I've only read the last few posts but I have a question. What insurance, if any, is available for poultry farmers? My husband works for a company that provides commercial insurance. They calculate the maximum loss for facilities and use that figure to calculate yearly premiums. The maximum loss includes not only loss of property but also inventory, lost profit, and can include costs associated with maintaining the facility until production begins again.

I would imagine there is similar insurance available to poultry farmers.

We have the same compensation here. One must apply for the compensation within 48 hours of the event and must have a witness.
The county maintains a fund supported by dog licenses. It is a state statute that all counties have to adhere to.

I know I have a major investment in my birds and have lost some to dogs. I didn't have to go the county route because the owner reimbursed me on both occasions.

I lost 26 chickens and three turkeys to a dog two years ago. I had to go to District Court to get compensation for the replacement cost of the birds only, and if they hadn't paid, I'd have had nothing.

A quick search yielded a number of insurance companies that provide poultry insurance. Coverage included every thing from loss of incubating eggs due to power outages to loss of birds from disease (including avian flu) and loss due to a vetarinarian's order of euthanasia. It looks like coverage is out there. Does anyone know if it is cost prohibitive? Is it available for medium to small scale businesses?

A quick search yielded a number of insurance companies that provide poultry insurance. Coverage included every thing from loss of incubating eggs due to power outages to loss of birds from disease (including avian flu) and loss due to a vetarinarian's order of euthanasia. It looks like coverage is out there. Does anyone know if it is cost prohibitive? Is it available for medium to small scale businesses?

If you contact the companies, I am sure someone will be glad to quote prices and take your money.

I am a commercial farmer. Small farm, some would say "hobby farm", but I file my Schedule F like other commercial farmers. There is a vaccine available in other parts of the world, but the US has not accepted it. It's true that it will not prevent illness. It's true that even some vaccinated birds may die. But the vaccine is designed to help build immunity in the birds and help them avoid a serious case of avian influenza.

Until the USDA allows us, as farmers, to have an option to try to protect our flocks, then it is unreasonable to say that we must assume all risk. Denying us risk mitigation means, then mandating the destruction of our livestock and income, is unreasonable. The argument is made that the destruction of the flocks is "for the public health". Yet the USDA asserts that the strain of HPAI currently causing the destruction is not a human pathogen in its present form.

For each of the young organic laying hens in my flock, my income is $100/yr, or $17500. My investment in that bird up to point of lay is about $15. So if I lose my flock of 175 layers, my out of pocket loss is $2625 but my loss of income for the amount of time it would take to leave fallow time, acquire chicks, raise them to point of lay is $8750. Instead of a gross income of $17500 for stock acquired last year to lay this year, I would be faced with minimal income and significant costs.

My turkey outlook is also bleak. 70 organic heritage turkeys would bring me an average of $90 each at market, or $6300. The cost to acquire and raise those turkeys for 28 weeks and get them processed is approximately $4500. I've already invested over $800 this year in starting my stock. If I lose my heritage poults, it's too late to start new ones for the Thanksgiving market, so instead of a break-even best case, I would be out completely. And if I lose my breeders, I will lose three years of selective breeding.

I have wondered about the vaccine. I have read of the vaccines in other places, and I have read of one that they think will be ready in 9-12months here. I wondered what the logic was. I also wondered why one was not available already. I was under the impression that there was one available and there was another reason they were not using it, but I was wrong, and reading about the vaccine being used in other countries. There may be good reason why they are not and have not. It could be that the vaccines available is not adequate for what we are seeing here now.

There are other strains that have showed up or will. I have wondered if they were working proactively to develop a vaccine for those.

Farming, including livestock, is a high risk low return venture. We are reminded of that reality from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom