HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Quote:
Get the birds off soy, that's the most critical factor in all of this. Soybean meal is bad enough on its own but since 2012 the round up ready soy has been in poultry feed and its destroys the endocrine system from the inside out. The birds are immune deficient to begin with due to selective breeding and then there's the soy based feeds.
Secondly, get fresh ground turmeric into the diet at least 4 times per week. Mix one part fresh ground tumeric with one part canned cranberry sauce with two parts cooked white rice. Spread out concoction into ice tray. Each bird should have one cube 4 times per week. I suggest feeding them at night an hour before they normally go to roost.
Alternatively, or in addition, UltraKibble is soy free and one of the primary ingredients is turmeric.
Conventional feeds are designed to disintegrate upon ingestion. That material goes through the entire digestive system in a matter of an hour or less. That's great for production in an industrial farming situation unless they are exposed pathogens, which is another subject- - Just feed your birds substantially less food- let that be whole foods- like whole seeds and grains- and try to get them off of the conventional crumbles and pellets as soon as humanly possible.
Read up on the avian endocrine system and make educated decisions based on physiology and reproductive health- versus production and yield.
Just mix that UK 2 parts to 8 parts barley and you've got a complete diet- include oystershell of course- The birds will be eat roughly 40% less than when they eat pellets/crumbles because the kibble/grain/seed admixture requires plenty of time to digest entirely. That's why the birds droppings will be fewer in number and significantly drier. They are actually digesting what is eaten. The conventional pellets and crumbles are eaten and the filler/soy protein (largely not bioavailable) are expunged. The birds just keep eating to reach their nutritional requirements. Using the UK /Grain strategy is an entirely different method. This is what many small farms selling eggs and meat in the local food movement are using.
Cuts down on feed waste, boosts immunity, extends lay cycle by a number of years (versus the endocrine system shorting out in the 2nd year and the hens slow laying to a stop) and produces healthier chicks.
We are truly in a race between education and catastrophe. The folks out in these states where the Avian flu is developing- they are all in the big grain belt- they are all feeding round up ready crops to their birds 365 days of the year. Their immune systems are not developed enough to handle viral infection. People tend to be stubborn so we just have to let them keep on a going at status quo until they realize for themselves that they aught not be feeding egg yolks built on round up chemicals to children and the elderly. It is only a matter of time before the only chickens that will be legally owned will actually belong to one of the 3 global corporations that own all of the world's meat and egg chickens. Disease will be the excuse. Poultry are too valuable in feeding the world so of course only major corporations will be able to farm them as everyone else's will be considered disease vectors. Why? Because we feed our flocks the same crap as theirs but without the antibiotics or hormones so our flocks end up getting sick, especially as they are breathing in poultry smut from the dust produced by those conventional feeds. That mixes with fecal material, feather dander and ambient dust to produce a real pathogen that breeds bacteria like wildfire.
Healthy flocks are immune to it but - the local grouse that spends any time in a barn yard is going to keel over from a bacterial pneumonia. -Regardless, bacterial infection is preventable by simply not feeding birds on the ground but rather in no tip bowls (versus filled hampers) on tables within larger receptacles- like a child's wading pool. Then- stop feeding the foods that disintegrate into powder upon pecking - - they mix with feather dander too easily during preening and that all leads to bacterial growth.
And finally- keep their immune systems healthy and fine tuned with a clean diet of high quality foods - things you can grow yourself, summer squash and sweet potatoes come to mind- Let your birds gorge on those items and feed small portions of whole grains and kibble - or another mixture that includes animal protein and sufficient dietary fat= and whole grains- -basically return the poultry to pre-industrial farming condition.
Ultrakibble Photo:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/715yXVCjLEL._SY355_.jpg?hc_location=ufi
Turmeric Photo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric
Curcumin inhibits influenza virus infection and haemagglutination activity:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814609010553
Benefits of Turmeric image:
http://simplygreenandhealthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Benefits_of_Turmeric.jpg

A similar case could be made for parents who don't allow their children to touch anything "dirty" and use sanitizer as if it was water.

But all of that has nothing to do with a highly pathenogenic virus that leaves few survivors who build immunity to that particular strain but are carriers for life.

Even though they have provisions to stop wild bird entry, I'm sure an occasional wild bird gets into these factory farms. One wild bird who has the virus is all that's needed, apparently. Also, rodents have the capability of getting in occasionally, and could carry the virus on their feet. I doubt it's the feed.

Quote:
Get the birds off soy, that's the most critical factor in all of this. Soybean meal is bad enough on its own but since 2012 the round up ready soy has been in poultry feed and its destroys the endocrine system from the inside out. The birds are immune deficient to begin with due to selective breeding and then there's the soy based feeds.
Secondly, get fresh ground turmeric into the diet at least 4 times per week. Mix one part fresh ground tumeric with one part canned cranberry sauce with two parts cooked white rice. Spread out concoction into ice tray. Each bird should have one cube 4 times per week. I suggest feeding them at night an hour before they normally go to roost.
Alternatively, or in addition, UltraKibble is soy free and one of the primary ingredients is turmeric.
Conventional feeds are designed to disintegrate upon ingestion. That material goes through the entire digestive system in a matter of an hour or less. That's great for production in an industrial farming situation unless they are exposed pathogens, which is another subject- - Just feed your birds substantially less food- let that be whole foods- like whole seeds and grains- and try to get them off of the conventional crumbles and pellets as soon as humanly possible.

Read up on the avian endocrine system and make educated decisions based on physiology and reproductive health- versus production and yield.
Just mix that UK 2 parts to 8 parts barley and you've got a complete diet- include oystershell of course- The birds will be eat roughly 40% less than when they eat pellets/crumbles because the kibble/grain/seed admixture requires plenty of time to digest entirely. That's why the birds droppings will be fewer in number and significantly drier. They are actually digesting what is eaten. The conventional pellets and crumbles are eaten and the filler/soy protein (largely not bioavailable) are expunged. The birds just keep eating to reach their nutritional requirements. Using the UK /Grain strategy is an entirely different method. This is what many small farms selling eggs and meat in the local food movement are using.

Cuts down on feed waste, boosts immunity, extends lay cycle by a number of years (versus the endocrine system shorting out in the 2nd year and the hens slow laying to a stop) and produces healthier chicks.
We are truly in a race between education and catastrophe. The folks out in these states where the Avian flu is developing- they are all in the big grain belt- they are all feeding round up ready crops to their birds 365 days of the year. Their immune systems are not developed enough to handle viral infection. People tend to be stubborn so we just have to let them keep on a going at status quo until they realize for themselves that they aught not be feeding egg yolks built on round up chemicals to children and the elderly. It is only a matter of time before the only chickens that will be legally owned will actually belong to one of the 3 global corporations that own all of the world's meat and egg chickens. Disease will be the excuse. Poultry are too valuable in feeding the world so of course only major corporations will be able to farm them as everyone else's will be considered disease vectors. Why? Because we feed our flocks the same crap as theirs but without the antibiotics or hormones so our flocks end up getting sick, especially as they are breathing in poultry smut from the dust produced by those conventional feeds. That mixes with fecal material, feather dander and ambient dust to produce a real pathogen that breeds bacteria like wildfire.
Healthy flocks are immune to it but - the local grouse that spends any time in a barn yard is going to keel over from a bacterial pneumonia. -Regardless, bacterial infection is preventable by simply not feeding birds on the ground but rather in no tip bowls (versus filled hampers) on tables within larger receptacles- like a child's wading pool. Then- stop feeding the foods that disintegrate into powder upon pecking - - they mix with feather dander too easily during preening and that all leads to bacterial growth.
And finally- keep their immune systems healthy and fine tuned with a clean diet of high quality foods - things you can grow yourself, summer squash and sweet potatoes come to mind- Let your birds gorge on those items and feed small portions of whole grains and kibble - or another mixture that includes animal protein and sufficient dietary fat= and whole grains- -basically return the poultry to pre-industrial farming condition.
Ultrakibble Photo:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/715yXVCjLEL._SY355_.jpg?hc_location=ufi
Turmeric Photo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric
Curcumin inhibits influenza virus infection and haemagglutination activity:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814609010553
Benefits of Turmeric image:
http://simplygreenandhealthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Benefits_of_Turmeric.jpg

That's all very informative and I don't doubt what you say, but impractical for anyone raising a number of poultry! Ultrakibble is some expensive stuff! Even mixed 2 to 8. I'd have to look for barley around here. I don't remember seeing it sold at feed stores. I add oats to my birds conventional diet and a few handfuls of BOSS. Scratch is only a treat. Leftover crumble is mixed with organic ACV/water to make a mash for them which some of the birds do enjoy, they will clean that out. I have a couple of stubborn hens that won't eat oyster shell freely, and they must not eat the layer feed either because I get thin to no shell eggs from them. If I pop a calcium pill in them, I get eggs for a couple of days, but it's getting tiresome doing that. Most of the birds do free range but I do have some that are penned for awhile. I might try the kibble on those because I do worry about their nutrition since they can't free range. What's the purpose of the cranberry sauce? Do you freeze that concoction? I have dried cranberry raisins here, would giving them a few of those work? I also have powdered tumeric here. Used to put it in with the feed, but quit when I ran out. Bought me a bag of it for myself, but, unfortunately, it disagrees with my lower tract violently for days after. I'm just not made for the stuff. So, I may as well try it with them again. Have food grade DE, would that work for added calcium in a feed mix?

I tried the Ultra Kibble. There is no way you can save "on the feed bill" by using it.

Ultra Kibble probably does have nutritional benefits, but doubt that it will offer more nutrients than can be available from fermenting one of the feeds with added Omegas.

JMHO

A similar case could be made for parents who don't allow their children to touch anything "dirty" and use sanitizer as if it was water.

But all of that has nothing to do with a highly pathenogenic virus that leaves few survivors who build immunity to that particular strain but are carriers for life.

Obviously, the highly pathogenic strain is here to stay. It sounds like the poultry industy is responsible for it's creation(would never admit to it though) and small flocks everywhere have to suffer to feed the masses. What choice do poultry have other than to have survivors and build immunity to it? I think it's called breeding for resistance, isn't it? If you want to avoid the chance of mutation, then that needs to be done in small poultry flocks, not large scale operations, right? They are not going to eliminate it, even if they destroy every backyard bird there is.

Maybe I am thinking wrong, but I was under the understanding that the Agriculture Department is destroying all infected flocks to prevent even wider spread of the virus AND to prevent chances of mutation to a strain that effects humans.

All birds in a flock are destroyed. In a large barn with thousands of birds, they bring in a foaming machine, foam the building to suffocate, bulldoze to the center and compost in place monitoring the temperature of the pile. The heat of composting kills the virus.
They claim that even the heat of summer will knock it down - for the time being.

is there anything in particular we can do to keep our flocks safe? just curious...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom