HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Leslie, thanks for your helpful, tactful advice.

It really isn't any of your business but...I home school four children. In addition to taking care of the home, the flock, the orchard, etc. I spend more time on the internet than I'd like to spend as it is, researching various ways to meet each kiddo's needs, finding necessary resources for our science topics, networking with other HS moms of LD kids, and trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with our peach trees. Among other things.

There are 27 pages to this thread.

Googling brought me dozens of different articles on bird influenza, possibly because my search terms were not precise enough. I really don't have the time to sift through it all, or I would have done so. Using your search terms brought up results closer to what I was looking for. So thanks for that.

If a basic summary of 27 pages is asking too much, please...do forgive me.

It kinda is too much to ask. If someone tells me they can't read old posts, I don't really expect them to read new ones either. So I never understand the logic of this kind of request (which happens a lot here, because SO many of us are super busy, many of us with exactly the same stuff keeping you busy).

I always have good luck talking to google like it's a friend and not a search engine.

Search term: protecting backyard flocks from AI

http://www.extension.org/pages/24510/protecting-backyard-flocks-from-avian-influenza#.VVvuHFVViko

And if you prefer youtube, there is this nice item:

This probably would have made a good HS assignment. Kids probably type faster than adults these days.

Feed scares me. I saw on Purina's feedbag tonight that they get their grain from "farms across North America". errrr.
sad.png
And I agree, I think it might have started in a factory farm... but the question is, how. I still think it's extremely strange that it's spreading like wildfire through the factory farms. You know those places have to be locked down tighter than a drum by now, and they should have been after the first outbreak....

The way this stuff is hitting commercial flocks so hard, where bio security is serious business, I keep thinking eco terrorism. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

I do understand that once the AI is in a facility it will probably spread fast. But with all the birds locked up inside, with bleach baths and stuff surrounding the buildings, how on earth is it getting IN? And why isn't every backyard flock in the same migratory zones also affected?

I'm glad I'm not the person who has to figure out how to handle millions of dead birds responsibly.

Forgive me for asking.

Seriously...I feel like I stumbled onto the Heritage Purebreed Chicken forum where anybody who dares call a cock a "rooster" is ridiculed and run off.

I spend enough time on this internet as it is, taking care of other things that have to be taken care of. I hear enough from my husband, "You're on that stupid thing AGAIN" as if I'm sitting here playing tiddlywinks, Farmville or other online games (for the record, I have never played Farmville).

Folks here are concerned about the health of backyard flocks. You are all sharing information...yet when somebody fairly new to the hobby swings in and asks for a brief synopsis of how to protect their backyard flock...you act all indignant. Is it some kind of trial by fire to read through all 27 pages to glean the info I am looking for? Does that procure acceptance here or something? ....
My husband and I are new to chicken raising, so I completely understand about having questions and needing to get answers to those questions. This entire site was built so everyone can share their thoughts, opinions and knowledge to anyone that wants to take the time to ask and learn. There are so many great resources on here that you can obtain just about any information you need. However, some topics can't be "summed up" as there are too many variables to the topic..... like Avian Flu. We are ALL trying to figure it out.

We are ALL busy with our jobs and taking care of our family, house and chores every single day from sun up to sun down. I'm sorry that you are feeling indignant to the responses but this is a forum of opinions and sometimes having a thicker skin helps to look past the response. You could read the 27 pages to this thread or you could skip around and probably get a synopsis of what most are talking about. If you have a particular question about this or any other topic...ask a specific question.

I've been on many forums and find the people on BYC are by far the most helpful group that I've ever come across. You may not like every response you get but that's part of being in a large forum like BYC. Nobody wants to see anyone leave BYC with a bad taste in their mouth but on the hand not all forums are for all people. I love BYC because I know when I have a question (no matter how silly I think the question is) I can get my answers here. I just have to start asking and reading, it's time consuming but reading threads from A-Z really will give you the best advantage to caring for your flock.

Please know we are all after the same result... to have healthy, happy flocks! Best of luck to you :)

The way this stuff is hitting commercial flocks so hard, where bio security is serious business, I keep thinking eco terrorism. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

I do understand that once the AI is in a facility it will probably spread fast. But with all the birds locked up inside, with bleach baths and stuff surrounding the buildings, how on earth is it getting IN? And why isn't every backyard flock in the same migratory zones also affected?

I'm glad I'm not the person who has to figure out how to handle millions of dead birds responsibly.

Haha. You're not the only one. Look here...

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2015/05/ongoing-bird-flu-crisis-stumps-experts

thegawd said something interesting. He thinks the industrial poultry sites are giving the flu to the wildlife birds and the wildbirds are getting blamed for it.
Very interesting.....

I would not doubt for a second that mutations in the bird flu originated in commercial operations. A link I posted a long time back in this thread that was written almost a decade ago suggested as such. Some thought it wasn't relative since the article was so old. Well, the bird flu is old too, but the virulent strains seem to have started popping up in Asia in the years prior to the date of that article.

Well, flies and mosquitos may be a possibility? I don't know how well commerical operations keep them out. I imagine it's hard to keep every mouse out too.

Genetic diversity. I believe that is why commercial flocks are so prone to getting sickened by the disease. Commerical flocks very likely have little genetic diversity since they are bred for specific traits such as weight gain and laying production. Backyard flocks are more genetically diverse, just as wild bird populations are. That's why you don't see many deaths in them even though they are carriers. Only the weak succumb.

And with genetically identical birds at commercial farms, not to mention the living conditions- from close quarters to filth, it is no wonder that it spreads. The high turn over rate also means little time for genetic immunity formation and since these breeds do not breed, that genome isn't passed on to future generations of birds. It's a recipe for disaster.

I don't know how AI is making it's way not the large closed meat and egg mills, but these places have been following seriously high bio security rules for years. And yet, AI still rears its ugly head. farms don't want out breaks any more than we do. culling 18 million egg layers in a day hurts the pocket book and restocking takes months to rotate in. Again, with high performing, genetically similar birds.

Last edited:
Leslie, thanks for your helpful, tactful advice.

It really isn't any of your business but...I home school four children. In addition to taking care of the home, the flock, the orchard, etc. I spend more time on the internet than I'd like to spend as it is, researching various ways to meet each kiddo's needs, finding necessary resources for our science topics, networking with other HS moms of LD kids, and trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with our peach trees. Among other things.

There are 27 pages to this thread.

Googling brought me dozens of different articles on bird influenza, possibly because my search terms were not precise enough. I really don't have the time to sift through it all, or I would have done so. Using your search terms brought up results closer to what I was looking for. So thanks for that.

If a basic summary of 27 pages is asking too much, please...do forgive me.
I've posted links on this thread with steps a backyarder can take to protect their flocks. It's the same as any other bio-security measures one takes to protect their flock.
Rather presumptive to think you're busier than those you want to summarize for you. I'm sure most BYC members are at least as busy.
I have 6 flocks of chickens, 50 chicks in the brooder that need to be weighed and have their leg bands changed today, 50 eggs are due to hatch tomorrow and another 80 will be hatching at the end of the month. I have to finish 4 trap nests and reinforce some doors in the breeder coops so I can get birds moved in there to make room for the chicks in the brooder house.
It's nearing the height of bee season and I'm way behind building frames and hive bodies.
The orchard and berry patches aren't eating up much time but I'm way behind on the 1000 sq. ft. veggie and herb garden.
My car broke down yesterday and I've been working on it in the rain today.
Not to mention that my best friend and my brother are both dying.

You may not have felt your request deserved any pushback, just my opinion here, but if you think about it I don't believe you got any responses that would offend any but the most thin skinned.

On occasion when people ask questions here, if they don't get the answer they want to hear, they respond in a similarly offended manner.

I thought Leslie's first response was spot on. Just read the comment and move on. There was no further need for all the banter that followed.

That's what we all want. There's tons of information on line re keeping your flock healthy, as has already been said. This thread is for updates and other important information that people might not hear otherwise. We want to keep hard feelings out of this. Everyone has something to share, or need to know. Peace, y'all.

Forgive me for asking.

Seriously...I feel like I stumbled onto the Heritage Purebreed Chicken forum where anybody who dares call a cock a "rooster" is ridiculed and run off.

Thanks to the one poster who took time to link important information for me, so I didn't have to sift through pages and pages of who's flock has the latest outbreak and how many turkeys so far have died.
The links are on almost every page on this thread. You don't have to read all 29 pages, just skim them for the links.

I've never criticized anyone for asking a question they didn't know the answer to but to ask others to do work that one thinks they're too busy to do but everyone else has plenty of free time?
th.gif

My husband and I are new to chicken raising, so I completely understand about having questions and needing to get answers to those questions. This entire site was built so everyone can share their thoughts, opinions and knowledge to anyone that wants to take the time to ask and learn. There are so many great resources on here that you can obtain just about any information you need. However, some topics can't be "summed up" as there are too many variables to the topic..... like Avian Flu. We are ALL trying to figure it out.

We are ALL busy with our jobs and taking care of our family, house and chores every single day from sun up to sun down. I'm sorry that you are feeling indignant to the responses but this is a forum of opinions and sometimes having a thicker skin helps to look past the response. You could read the 27 pages to this thread or you could skip around and probably get a synopsis of what most are talking about. If you have a particular question about this or any other topic...ask a specific question.

I've been on many forums and find the people on BYC are by far the most helpful group that I've ever come across. You may not like every response you get but that's part of being in a large forum like BYC. Nobody wants to see anyone leave BYC with a bad taste in their mouth but on the hand not all forums are for all people. I love BYC because I know when I have a question (no matter how silly I think the question is) I can get my answers here. I just have to start asking and reading, it's time consuming but reading threads from A-Z really will give you the best advantage to caring for your flock.

Please know we are all after the same result... to have healthy, happy flocks! Best of luck to you :)
goodpost.gif

And with genetically identical birds at commercial farms, not to mention the living conditions- from close quarters to filth, it is no wonder that it spreads. The high turn over rate also means little time for genetic immunity formation and since these breeds do not breed, that genome isn't passed on to future generations of birds. It's a recipe for disaster.

I don't know how AI is making it's way not the large closed meat and egg mills, but these places have been following seriously high bio security rules for years. And yet, AI still rears its ugly head. farms don't want out breaks any more than we do. culling 18 million egg layers in a day hurts the pocket book and restocking takes months to rotate in. Again, with high performing, genetically similar birds.

I worked in the feed mill industry for the mills owned by the egg and broiler farms programming the mills as a contractor. I was amazed at the volume of rats, mice and roaches.
Open an electrical panel in the dead of winter and the circuits are covered with huge roaches keeping warm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom