HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

We have a flock of nearly 50 chicks, and a beloved parrot, so this has me worried.

It does not affect all species of birds. It is thought sparrows and starlings are vectors for its spread as well as some water foul that remain asymptomatic. It is quite possible parrots may remain asymptomatic, too.

I am going to take that article to define backyard flocks as a small number of birds. This is my opinion. I have 12 - I am not worried at all. Sometimes, I have up to 50 birds in my flock. My town defines commercial as 200 birds or more so they have me down as a hobbyist.
I lose birds from time to time. This past winter, I lost four from what, I am not sure. I refuse to jump to conclusions unless I have a necropsy done and find out exactly what happened. I didn't have one done due to personal reasons, but, the remainder are all happy and healthy and I will assume it was from the extreme cold and snow we had here on the East Coast. The wild birds near my flock are here, but really my flock is isolated from the world.

I think it says something different. The article you referenced says "it's largely leaving backyard flocks unscathed". And that sentence links to another article by USAToday that says "bird flu outbreak mostlyspares backyard chickens".

I just lost a bird and I am not sure why. There were no symptoms until just at the end, like, within an hour. On Tuesday she was fine -- laid an egg in the morning. On Wednesday she did not lay an egg. That is unusual for her but it occasionally happens. Thursday I noticed something wrong around 9:30am. She was laying down with her head on the ground, eyes closed and panting. I picked her up and put her in the coup. She just stood in one place, not moving, with her eyes closed, panting. By 10am she was dead. She showed none of the other symptoms of bird flu. Whatever killed her was really fast. I cannot say it was bird flu, and I cannot rule it out, either. I can only watch our other 5 birds and see if they stay ok.

The worst part -- that last egg, the one she laid on Tuesday -- it was used to make mayonnaise. I noticed the white of the egg was more watery than normal but did not think much about it. That mayo was used in 2 sandwiches which were consumer before the bird died. Cooked poultry does not transmit bird flu. Mayo is made with raw egg. So now we wait.

Hmmm...didn't know that about mayo, that it is made from raw egg. I knew eggs were used, but that's about it.

Watery egg whites are a sign of IB. It could be signs for other disease too, but IB is the most known.

This is the latest news from the horses mouths.

http://www.iptv.org/iowapress/episode.cfm/4233
this is a video of the thirty minute show from Iowa Press.

I was interested in the contamination part. the director mentioned dust.

Well, the industry uses those huge fans to pull out the smell along with the droppings, feed dust, droplets and those go out into the air creating the pollution to infect other birds.

The episode is a video and very interesting. ! It was on this a.m. on Sunday the 24th.

It does not affect all species of birds. It is thought sparrows and starlings are vectors for its spread as well as some water foul that remain asymptomatic. It is quite possible parrots may remain asymptomatic, too.

Are your other birds still ok after you lost the one? AI doesn't necessariy show all the symptoms, sometimes sudden death is the only one. But if you haven't lost any more by now, I would think you could breathe a little easier.

Parrots may well be a species that is not affected, since the news said that zoos are not too concerned, as exotic birds are not affected. Read that a while ago, in the newspaper.

Last edited:
I doubt my parrot would get AI, because it does seem like it only affects poultry, but I'm wondering, if you have a flock of Chickens that have AI, and you have exotic birds as well, would they all have to be killed?

All birds can be infected with Ai its just that every species shows dfferent symptoms. if I owned exotic parrots and such I would take EXTRA precautions when carring for them. its not just Ai to worry about there are MANY other bird diseases out there and well parrots cost a heck of alot more than your average poultry.

Al

It is a bit of a pain to own exotic birds and poultry. My parrot is a Cockatiel, with a Conure on the way, and they will both live in my room. I never go in my room until I take a shower after handling, or even entering the 'Chick room'.

Officials say 2 new probable cases of bird flu in Iowa
Published 4:21 PM CDT May 26, 2015

DES MOINES, Iowa —State officials say there are two probable cases of bird flu in Adair and Webster counties in Iowa.
Related

The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship says initial testing at two commercial laying operations were positive for bird flu. The operations have a combined total of about 1.1 million birds.
The agency said Monday if the disease is confirmed, all birds on the properties will be euthanized. It would also mean there are now 66 cases of the disease in Iowa.

Back
Top Bottom