Heads Up

herfrds

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Montana
Was listening to the radio this morning and what I heard concerned me for every livestock owner.

Now this is not political.

There is a movement now trying to reintroduce the gray wolf across the entire US. From the Northwest to New England States.
that honestly scares me. We have to deal with the few wolves around here and the loss of an animal once in awhile, but now hearing about attacks on people.

Just thought everyone should be aware of what is happening.

Yikes! That wont turn out good!
I love wolfies as much as the next person but people and coyotes can barely live together without a second large canine predator to worry about!

There are already wolves here in the PNW.

I grew up in Ketchikan Alaska. Used to hear the wolves just behind town. Have never heard of them going after people or pets. There was no agriculture on the island, so didn't have to think about that.

Once in the Yukon, I had a huge skinny wolf walk up to me. I was very glad I was able to shut the car door.

Imp

Quote:
We have a pair of red wolves living on our place(reintroduced), they have never cause problems , we do not have coyotes and they keep the coons population down.

MDGC0086-2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
With an alarmist post like this, it's always a good idea to provide a link or two to the actual information. Saying "I heard" does not provide any substantial information, since radio, TV and the internet are full of misinformation.

I know that when Mexican wolves were released in Arizona they specifically said that if wolves were actively attacking livestock they could be shot or trapped. Their release was controversial and there was a lot of misinformation being propagated about how evil wolves are.

I like the idea of re-introducing wolves.
hide.gif

Up here in NH we have the jumbo-sized coyotes that are the result of coyotes mixing with the Eastern timber wolves up north in Canada. A pure strain of wolves would be a slight improvement over what we have now. Wolves are much shyer and less resilient than coyotes by nature. A little coyote competition may not be a bad thing. The deer population on the eastern seaboard has exploded to problem proportions in most areas. Coyotes are out of hand, even being seen living in cities. Small predators (raccoons, bobcats, fishers) are running amuck. Hunting and trapping are being more and more discouraged by the society we live in. It's time for a larger predator introduction to keep population numbers in check.

Reitroducing wolves to the ecosytems that they were present in historically would be great!
The reason that there are so many coyotes is because there are no wolves anymore. When you remove the top predator from the food chain it wreaks havoc on down the line...
We have wolves here is Maine occasionally, never heard of anyone having any problems with them at all.
As far as them being a danger to humans?
lau.gif

A fast food hamburger is more dangerous!
It's only by the efforts of wolf and wildlife loving humans that there are any wolves left! I doubt that they would be able to get a foothold in most places anyway. Wolves need space, and would never live close to people. If given a choice, I would much rather have my woods full of wolves keeping the deer population healthy than the coyotes that boldly come into my yard and eat my cats.
We have so altered the natural state of things that the only animals that can survive anymore are the ones that have adapted to living in proximity with humans, and living off humans. Those critters are far more dangerous with their eating of our livestock and pets, and the people and animals bitten and infected with rabies and distemper? I bet there have been way more fatalities from those types of things than wolf attacks....
Wolves are nothing to worry about!

edited for bad spelling!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom