Heads Up

Absoutely, bring them back! Wolves are very people shy, but would do a lot to cut down on vermin, coyotes, sick deer, and hopefully wild hogs! We've had an influx in the feral hog population here, and they do a lot of damage to crops, and just land in general. Not to mention they can be very dangerous!! I have yet to actually see one here, but I have seen their tracks and the rooting marks they leave right by my fenceline. It's open season on them out here, in fact some places will pay you to come in and shoot them! That being said, even if people fight the re-introduction, the F&G or Conservation Dept. will do as they please anyway. Two that come to mind here that were vehemently opposed were Timber Rattlers and Elk. Shot one rattler in my front yard! I've heard a bull Elk bugling down on the bottom now for over a year. Hmmm, we'll be hearing the howls soon enough...

Quote:
I agree, because coyotes and deer are so out of control, the wolves will cut down on the coyotes and also the deer. If there is enough prey for the wolves, they should leave our livestock alone (Unless they are weak or sick); or at least that is my thoughts.

Quote:
I agree, because coyotes and deer are so out of control, the wolves will cut down on the coyotes and also the deer. If there is enough prey for the wolves, they should leave our livestock alone (Unless they are weak or sick); or at least that is my thoughts.

I agree.. well said

Nature seeks to balance all things, whether we humans like it or not. Whether we like it or not kinda depends on our perspective from the food chain.

As long as there are enough prey animals for the wolves introduced into an area we are thrilled; less coyotes, coons, opossums, rats, etc. If there are not enough prey animals for the wolves, that's where the problems start. They will be in the trash cans and grabbing our pets and livestock just like any other predator, just bigger. I can appreciate the efforts of wanting to re-introduce wolves back into their natural habitat as long as that habitat is still suitable to sustain wolves. Its like the old saying; the only thing that stays the same is that everything changes...

Quote:
I agree...
if coys are coming into our yards now because there isnt enough food... you can bet the wolves will too.

http://missoulian.com/mobile/article_5cd50518-942c-11df-b20a-001cc4c03286.html
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2556030/posts

We
have lost 3 calves and 1 cow to wolves. Those are the "missing" ones that we could prove.
First kill was 200 yards from our front door. The next 2 happened in our pasture. one calf was our daughters colleage fund calf.
Sorry I do not support this.
I think about our cattle, horses, birds, dogs and cats. No animal should die like the ones killed by wolves. It is gory and sickening. I could post a couple of different sites, but it would lock this thread and make people sick.

As for the poster posting a
lau.gif
about wolves attacking people I'm pretty sure that college students family in Canada does not think a wolf attack on a person is funny. they lost their 24 yo son. How about that jogger in Alaska?

Last edited:
I think you have more to worry about from a human burglerizing you or terrorizing you then you do a wolf. Mother nature needs a lot of help. And god knows we have not been helping them much. I say bring them on. We need "natural" predators, not Man.
I am from a fairly remote part of the US and have lived in other remote parts and am happy to see it. I understand they will occasionally get into trouble. Well............. so do humans.
We are so arrogant to think that we are the most important species. I have lived in the city and in the country and in all honesty....... it does not matter where you live, you will always have some kind of predator. And yes, occasionally one will go for a human. Or your dog, cat, chickens, goats or whatever else is outside.
And sometimes the pretators ARE humans. Do not think they will not terrorize your animals. Some will.
I think most of us have more to worry about from neighbor dogs, racoons, opossums, ferel cats, neighbor cats, neighbors................ stray dogs and neighbor dogs.
If you have bear, wolves, cougar, racoons, opossums, wolverine or coyotes........... you may want to look into some electric fencing or more.

Wolves can be like may humans........... the only way you think you might like them is............ WOW! not the way they are.

the lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, their kits, a lizard and the kitty the dogs found who now has a new home............... IN 2 weeks.

Quote:
I can understand your frustration, and it's fine if you do not support it. Many people do not, and I certainly am not going to judge anyone. The reason I support it is only because up here in Maine we NEED a top predator to cut back the coyote and deer populations to a healthy level and return balance. We no longer have cougars, or wolves. I know several people who have been attacked by coyotes.

As for the animals killed by wolves, are they anymore savage than a coyote pack attack (I am just curious)? Was it a pack of wolves or just a sick or solo wolf without a pack? How are the prey animal (for wolves) populations in your area? Again, I ask only out of curiosity and for understanding of your situation. I do hope that they will allow you to protect your livestock though.

I do agree with you though, that there are plenty of documented cases of wolf attacks on humans. There may not be many in the US only because the wolf is practically extinct in a majority of the states. The laughter at that fact is not appropriate in my opinion, esspecially to the people who have lost loved ones. Wolves and any other type of animals (bears, mt. lions, coyotes, etc) can pose threats to humans. We are not top predator like we like to think.

Here in my neck of the woods, the state in its infinite wisdom has re-introduced diamond back rattlesnakes O boy!!! All I have to say is I hope genetic cloning never reaches the point that we re-introduce teradactyls and T-rex's

Ha! that was the first thing I thought of after seeing "Jurassic Park". Some idiot, or a bunch of idiots, will try, if they haven't already, to bring them back! And probably use a government grant to do it! I just hope if they do start re-introducing the wolf population, they THINK first, and take into account that their (wolves) historical territories are not the same as far as free, unihabited spaces go, or that the numbers of food sources have dropped as well. Really scary to think the government is involved with any type of prediction or rational thinking. Would still love to find the idiot that came up with the term, "Politically Correct"!
smack.gif
That's probably the biggest oxy moron I've ever heard!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom