Healthiest chicken breeds

Not sure if ill be useful in purebreds, but I've had chickens for about 5/6 years and from my experience my barnyard mixes have rarely ever gotten sick and i only recall it every happening as chicks. And my yard is full of them as i do a lotta experimental hatching. They are also known to be my friendliest.
I have young purebreds and so far my australorps and my red sl at 8/9 months have been good layers and have never gotten sick even as chicks that i know of. My pick out of the 2 would be the red sl, as she lays large dark brown eggs everyday.
Then at 6 months my pick would be the buff orpingtons, the buff brahmas, and the cream legbars, never been sick, but no eggs yet. Also mentioning they are very friendly, especially the legbars.
*** note ***
All breeds listed other then my barnyards came from tsc.

No health issues with sexlinks?! I find that so hard to believe, based on my experience and what I've read from so many others. So they have lived past 2-3 years with no issues??? If so, consider yourself one lucky chicken keeper!!!
I've noticed the sexlinks of today aren't as strong as even the ones from a few years ago

I've noticed the sexlinks of today aren't as strong as even the ones from a few years ago
I wonder why. Well, I can speculate. They are bred to lay more and more and more eggs. That takes a huge toll on their bodies, pulling nutrients and energy from all body systems. My first chickens were adult Golden Comet (similar to sex link) hens and I only had them for 5 months before they both developed serious reproductive issues. I had to cull them. It was sad. To my understanding, sex links/Comets/Red Stars/Golden Buffs are meant to be culled after the 2 year mark. They are a product of the egg industry, which does just that at the 2 year mark. Nothing wrong with it. I just don't think it's humane to wait until they develop the reproductive issues. I personally won't be getting them again, unless one day I'm prioritizing egg production and am willing to cull after 2 years. My beloved Golden Comets were in mind when I started this thread. I really loved them. I want to try to get breeds known for being healthy from now on.

I wonder why. Well, I can speculate. They are bred to lay more and more and more eggs. That takes a huge toll on their bodies, pulling nutrients and energy from all body systems. My first chickens were adult Golden Comet (similar to sex link) hens and I only had them for 5 months before they both developed serious reproductive issues. I had to cull them. It was sad. To my understanding, sex links/Comets/Red Stars/Golden Buffs are meant to be culled after the 2 year mark. They are a product of the egg industry, which does just that at the 2 year mark. Nothing wrong with it. I just don't think it's humane to wait until they develop the reproductive issues. I personally won't be getting them again, unless one day I'm prioritizing egg production and am willing to cull after 2 years. My beloved Golden Comets were in mind when I started this thread. I really loved them. I want to try to get breeds known for being healthy from now on.
My first sexlinks lived up to 9 at the oldest. Never lost any to reproductive issues though as far as I'm aware, most either were sold ot taken by predators. My current sexlink is about 3-3.5 now. She has very poor hatch rates (meat spots are in most of her eggs), and the ones she does hatch rarely make it past 6 months though. But she herself seems to be quite hardy

My first sexlinks lived up to 9 at the oldest. Never lost any to reproductive issues though as far as I'm aware, most either were sold ot taken by predators. My current sexlink is about 3-3.5 now. She has very poor hatch rates (meat spots are in most of her eggs), and the ones she does hatch rarely make it past 6 months though. But she herself seems to be quite hardy
If what I've read is always true, I'm quite worried about mine now, she seems to be one of my healthiest and is very friendly and even the roosters favor her.
20230122_143605.jpg

Wow, that is impressive! Yeah, I really don't hear people saying they have sex links living that long anymore. Probably 4 years max. Maybe they really are bred differently now (probably for more eggs) and just aren't as healthy as they once were. That's kinda sad. They are beautiful and friendly birds.

Wow, that is impressive! Yeah, I really don't hear people saying they have sex links living that long anymore. Probably 4 years max. Maybe they really are bred differently now (probably for more eggs) and just aren't as healthy as they once were. That's kinda sad. They are beautiful and friendly birds.
Those oldsexlinks were also bought as chicks almost 15 years ago too. So it's been plenty of time for hatcheries to accidentally breed out the longer survival

After considering all the breeds we talked about in this thread, my fiance and I talked it over. I think the 3 we will order (from Meyer) are:
Buff Orpington
Easter Egger (or Olive Egger)
Buckeye

We chose those for their reliability, hardiness, winter egg-laying ability, and likelihood of being friendly and docile. I don't like that the Orpingtons and Buckeyes can go broody, but I currently do not have any broody breeds in my flock, so I think it will be okay.

Runners up were Welsummer and Marans, so I think I'll get those next time.

Did I make decent choices?

After considering all the breeds we talked about in this thread, my fiance and I talked it over. I think the 3 we will order (from Meyer) are:
Buff Orpington
Easter Egger (or Olive Egger)
Buckeye

We chose those for their reliability, hardiness, winter egg-laying ability, and likelihood of being friendly and docile. I don't like that the Orpingtons and Buckeyes can go broody, but I currently do not have any broody breeds in my flock, so I think it will be okay.

Runners up were Welsummer and Marans, so I think I'll get those next time.

Did I make decent choices?

Yes, you should have a splendid flock.

Back
Top Bottom