Healthy 2-yr old hen hasn't laid in 3 days - does that mean she's egg bound?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have a 2-year old Dominique who is healthy and normally lays 5 - 6 days a week. She laid her last egg on Sun morning (it's now Wed afternoon). She has sat in the nest box briefly both yesterday and today (maybe sitting up to 30 mins) but has not laid. I think she (and her 2 sisters) were thrown off on Mon because I added 3 7-week olds in a separated part of their run to start the integration process. The other 2 have laid no problem.

I tried to feel her abdomen and around her vent to see if I can feel an egg inside. But honestly I have no idea what I'm doing and what it should feel like! She's acting completely normal otherwise. Should I be concerned? Is she potentially eggbound? Does not laying a few days mean they are eggbound or not necessarily?

When feeling around the abdomen, you should be very careful. You can accidentally break an egg that is inside. As far as her not laying, just her age alone said why she's not laying. After hens turn 2 years old, they slow down. Depending on breed, they slow down even more after 3. The stress from the new chicks could cause her to slow down too. I don't think she's egg bound unless you see her losing her balance and such.

Is she were eggbound, you'd be able to tell, or she'd be dead already. Maybe she's raking a break
Ok that's what I was thinking...that if she was eggbound it would be obvious or she'd have other symptoms. But I'm fairly new to chickens and have never had an eggbound hen so wanted to check. Thanks! Yes, a break would be great for her. She lays way too much ;)

Back
Top Bottom