Healthy chickens Suddenly found dead

quicksand

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
I went out to gather eggs from all my different coops and I found one of my very nice Black copper Maran Hens Dead. Then I found a Welsummer hen dead in another coop. None have been sick in any way, I looked them over and there was no marks and had no lice or bugs on them. I am wondering if I have a critter problem ?

Last year I went out to 3 dead healthy chickens in the coop before I locked them up for the night, I couldn't find any blood on them and was shocked....well the culprit was back the next day, a tiny coopers hawk, he was back for more, someone told me they attack from behind and try to break their neck, they are so small thats one way to kill....is it possible one could have gotten in? Mine got in a chainlink enclosure and net overtop, the next day he got himself caught up in the netting after he killed a rooster.

A tiny coopers hawk. Wow. That is good to know. We lost a bird during the night when a raccoon crawled in between the top covering and the top of the enclosure. The thing crawled over the top, killed the baby, crawled back out into the night. Our one hen walked by the bird and had a look of horror on her face. She, for two nights would not go into the coop until I made her go in.

I had a similar problem. I believe my killer to be rat poison. Before the barn cat decided to adopt our property I had a minor rat problem. I set snap traps and had a bait box as well. I had some luck but also had some traps that were picked clean but not tripped. The only time I had unexplained dead hens is when I had rats. I think the rats must have dragged the poison into the caged coop and the hens probably ate the remains. I'm not 100% sure of the dianosis but it is the only reason I can think of.

Similar stories?

Back
Top Bottom