Healthy Chicks and More Hatchery?

groaners

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 19, 2010
Ferndale, CA
Does anyone have experience with "Healthy Chicks and More" Hatchery out of Mason, Ohio?
They can make orders as small as 10 chicks!
I am considering ordering some EE's from them
Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks
jumpy.gif

This year is the first time I ever mail ordered chicks. I chose Healthy Chicks and More as my Hatchery.

FYI, they ship Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

Here is my experience:

Ordered 10 chicks, I picked 2 each of 5 breeds, straight run. Also they were running a special for a "rare" chick to go with my order for free. So, first order had 11 chicks.

All arrived DOA!!! (extra chick was an EE) Now, mind you my PO didn't get them until Friday morning, and it was 25 degrees that night, so probably was in the cold truck all night. hatchery said the truck drivers suffocated them, and they were having that problem at the time. Spoke to the same person every time I called. They said that they would reship my order the following week.

I called that weekend and discussed with them about doubling my order, for warmth purposes. They talked me out of it, insisted that it wasn't a warmth issue.

The following Friday came and went, no chicks. They said OOPS, they took my order out when they were talking to me about increasing the order, and forgot to put the order back in. They will reship the following week.

Well, I was prepping for the order to come in on Friday again, and lo and behold my PO calls me on Thursday morning, chicks arrived!! All alive and healthy!! I had 12 in the box, they sent not only my "extra", which was an EE again, but also another JG.

All the chicks are doing great now, they are a little over 3 weeks old. My EE chick has a SEVERE cross-beak though, getting worse every day.

I think that says it all.
hmm.png

ETA: My Pet Chicken (mypetchicken.com) takes orders as small as THREE. They send them with a special heating source to survive shipping, so there's an additional shipping charge for that, but it may be just the thing you're looking for.

Last edited:
HC&M the order minmum is 10 without an add. heating pack and shipping is included in their pricing. They say if you live in a Big city, you can order less. I think you do have a handling or boxing fee of like 5 bucks, but thats not that much. I hate how much places charge for small orders, sometimes I think that it is as much for heat as they don't like people to only order a few chicks. I also wouldn't order chicks in very cold or hot times of the year, because of warmth issues. My opinon of course.

Back
Top Bottom