Healthy - Good Food finds..

I can joke about the spaghetti squash and quinoa but, I am eating both!

My new years resolution this year was to eat healthier, weight loss would be a plus! I can tell you that by eating a couple of eggs in the morning, a can of green beans for lunch and a veggie only salad for dinner, I can loose a lot of weight and have done that in the past. But, I know that is not a healthy diet plan.

Having young kids can make eating things like spaghetti squash and quinoa a challenge, but my kids are now all over 18 and can enjoy what I make or make their own. I am also trying to control what I eat by making more things from scratch so that I can control the quality of the foods that I use. Once again, that is something that is easier to do for some than others. When your running kids from school to sports practice to scouting to home and homework etc........, your time to stay home and cook healthy meals is very limited and that will change what you think is healthy. Something packaged and processed will usually beat something you can pick up in the drive-thru. Since we are all at different phases of life, what might make perfect sense to one, is ridiculous for another

But maybe a list of healthier-good foods will inspire a few to try something different

You can add to my list:

Fage non fat Greek yogurt, I use it in place of sour cream regularly (cheap at Costco)

Mascarpon instead of butter, also cheaper at Costco

using corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas is a good calorie cutter as well

Taboleh salad is awesome. It makes your cheeks 'smile'. I first found it at a Greek vendor at WestSide Market in Cleveland, Oh. There are recipes for it on the web. Full of fresh parsley (I think), bulgur wheat, tomatoes, onions and lemon juice and olive oil. I like to eat it alone, but people also put it on pita bread or crackers or whatever.

Yum yum....now I'll have to make the 2 hour trip to get some.....

Back
Top Bottom