Healthy happy chickens die or dying

I just finished reading all of that as well. I was afraid I had poisoned my own babies at first, but I see they actually use citrus sludge in making feeds. So, now I don't know. I just finished burying 2 roosters and my turkey. Very sad day. The other two have not come out from under their coop all day. One still looks fine, but the other is still as it was this a.m. I have tried to give them water, but they won't drink it. I am afraid I will be burying at least one more. Praying not. Don't think I can take the heartbreak of doing this again. I have scoured my yard and barn and cannot find anything they could have got into.

I appreciate all the kindness. I have always known that most horse people are good people, now I know that chicken people are good people.

The feathers were tight and in tact. I went over just about every inch of the turkey, looking under the feathers for signs of snake bite. Could not find a thing wrong. I just know that their breathing got more and more labored as time went by. The turkey would swallow as I put water into his mouth. The roosters would breathe it in if I didn't hold their head just right. But they mostly let it dribble out of their beaks. I am going to leave the other two out in their pen instead of putting them in their coop. I guess they will get in if that is where they want to be.

I have not seen any evidence of dead anything around here. I did see 3 vultures flying around yesterday. They seemed to be searching. Slow circles that moved farther and farther away. They are amazing to watch. It looked like 3 coins going down one of those coin funnel things at theme parks or the mall. One circling right behind the other. But that is the only thing I can remember. Found some feathers from what seemed to have been a sparrow or dove at some point. Figured one of the cats had a meal. One more thing I just thought of.... lots of mole holes in my yard and some even in the chicken yard. I wonder if mole poop is toxic. At this point I may be reaching.

Still happy to hear any theories I can consider before I get any more. I want to make sure there is no disease going on here.

Thanks again.

Oh I am sorry for your loss. That's terrible to have to go through. Sometimes things just happen in spite of our best efforts.

I found BYC last week because one of my little hens died without warning and I went searching online and found this wonderful group.
These folks here were a great comfort to me when I felt so sad. My girls still are a bit mystified that Sophie is gone.

One, the only one left, has responded to antibiotics. It is doing much better. Up and walking around which is much better than laying down and not being able to left her head. So, before I get anymore, I will bleach and wash the coop and yard so there are no more germs or bacteria. Thank you again for all of the support.

Quote:
Good luck...I hope you can ay least get a clue as to what happened
fl.gif

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I hope your last one makes it.
fl.gif

Because it is so mysterious I would find out what steps would be taken to have that last one tested by your state lab if it doesn't make it.

I hope you won't need the info to have it tested because I hope it lives but I would want to know what happened to them because it's obvious you have given them good care.

Back
Top Bottom