Healthy hen drops dead. Autopsy pics. **graphic**

Is the blob on the left a blood clot?

Edited to add:
Do you have pictures of the liver?
Here is a photo of when i first opened her up. I think the red items may be the kidney?
But why would the liver be orange?

Attachments

• 20180809_110156.jpg
    20180809_110156.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 31
The black thing seemed to be close to thigh area but then it matches the underside of the large orange organ that might be the liver. It was the correct shape but verrry mushy and started to break down in the sun. These are the last two or 3 photos i have of that orange organ and i flipped it over

Attachments

• 20180809_111649.jpg
    20180809_111649.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180809_111705.jpg
    20180809_111705.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180809_112950.jpg
    20180809_112950.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 26
Thank you!
I too was shocked to see those yolks there and thought the yellow fat looked like jellied yolks. Ill take a look at the makeup of their feed and evaluate the kitchen scraps they get. They seem healthy running around all day doing their chix stuff. My egg production has slowed, hopefully they arent all packing their abdomens with yolks...
Thanks again for your input.
I am sorry for your losses.
I would stop all treats and take a good look at your current feed.

Read this:
https://htrchickens.com/2013/04/15/...er-hepatic-lipidosis-contains-graphic-images/
That is an awesome article!! Thank you so much! Ive been using my chickens to take care of fruit trees and to train them i was putting out corn and organic grains to get them to scratch under the trees to get the bugs that can marr the fruit. Wow.. i gave them fatty liver.. bummer. Now i really feel bad. But as farmers i guess we never quit learning.. thanks so much.. ill find ways to reverse this for them.

I am not an expert, but this is what I think:
View attachment 1498627

Yep! I think i trained them to only like the grains and not eat the mash.. and i drive an hour to get this stuff i thought was great!
When you feed whole grains it gives them the option to pick and choose which pieces they want and it can cause them to not get a proper complete diet.
And feeding scratch and table scraps on top of that makes their "complete" diet even more diluted.

I highly recommend feeding a pelleted or crumble feed only from now on.
If you must feed anything other than just that then limit it to a small amount once a week. Not daily.

Back
Top Bottom