Hearing chirping

Vernon C

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 28, 2019
So this is my first shot at hatching. I'm hearing chirping, but don't see any piping? Is this right, or am I hearings mouse lol?
Also, how long can eggs sit at room temperature before they need to go in the fridge? (Unwashed)
I've had some 7 days waiting in line for the incubator, but haven't hatched yet so I'm taking the oldest and going to use them if possible.
EDIT: I am hearing some chirps every so often, but don't see any breaking thru. I'm not the only person hearing this. Today will finish off day 21, with nothing showing, but definitely hearing chirping. I can't understand why it's taking so long

Last edited:
They've probably pipped internally! You should see cracks in eggs pretty soon, but it can be 12hr or longer between internal and external pip, and as long again before they finish hatching.

If you play them some clucking hen noises, they'll probably chirp back at you! Mine always talk back at the temperature alarm if it goes off.

Your waiting eggs will be ok a little longer. Each day after the first week or so they do get a little less viable, but lots of people hatch eggs that are 10-14 days old with only a small drop in hatch rate. It'll be better to let hatching finish completely so you can properly clean the incubator, even if it means a couple extra days wait.

eggs keep coming unless you lost your rooster or something ... make the old ones breakfast lol ...

Can you clarify what your talking about? Use your EDIT button to make changes on your original post.
I am hearing some chirps every so often, but don't see any breaking thru. I'm not the only person hearing this. Today will finish off day 21, with nothing showing, but definitely hearing chirping. I can't understand why it's taking so long

Most likely your incubator is a little cool. Even a degree cooler over the course of incubation can add an extra day.
It's stressful to wait, but chirping is a very good sign and things will happen soon! Sometimes it takes as long as 24 hr to go from internal to external pip.

Oh I see what your talking about, cool incubation extends hatching time, so sometimes they zip on day 22 to 24.

But it's a good sign that your hearing them chirp. Be patient and wait, remember to let them dry out a bit before removing them to the brooder.

And also your humidity will go high when the chicks hatch due to there extra moisture from them. Air some of it out but maintain your temperature. Try to stay around 65 to 70% humidity.

Back
Top Bottom