Heart of a Dragon

Aster stormed away, his hair prickling in annoyance. Stupid Reds, blew up at the drop of a talon. He'd been trying to be nice, anyways.
He flapped ungracefully across the school, ducking into the headmaster's office as the bell rang again, second warning for third meal.
"Well, she's high-spirited," he muttered to the figure, sitting regally in a winged chair. "And obnoxious."
"She's red-acquainted, what did you expect? I'm assuming you annoyed her?" replied the headmaster. He looked kinglike on his throne, tall and white-haired. "I don't care if you don't get along. She's your protege, and she's powerful. We need her."
Aster frowned. "Fine. Orders?"
The headmaster narrowed his eyes. "None, for now. Keep her peaceful, maybe test her ability. Meet me again next moonhigh for new orders. Don't set any fires, especially not now. The air spirits are annoyed lately."
Aster dug his nails into his palms. "So, just do everything I have been doing?"
"Yes."
Aster turned and flew out the window, his irritation glowing through his hair. He flapped toward the meal hall, hoping Astra wasn't there. She was.
Astra heard the door slam and turned around to see who it was. Like she didn't know already. It was Aster. His hair was glowing, so he must be irritated. Astra decided to make her move. She pushed her seat back, glanced around, then approached Aster and said, "I saved you a seat by me. Since you don't like me, you can wait for someone to leave if you don't want to be seen near me."
To her surprise, Aster thought for a moment, then said, "ok" under his breath, and let her lead him to their seats. Lemaitre said keep the peace. Hope it's worth it. He glared to his right, at Astra, as she glanced over at him, and their eyes met. Astra laughed and looked away, thinking, That was awkward. Oh good, there's our seats.

Astra heard the door slam and turned around to see who it was. Like she didn't know already. It was Aster. His hair was glowing, so he must be irritated. Astra decided to make her move. She pushed her seat back, glanced around, then approached Aster and said, "I saved you a seat by me. Since you don't like me, you can wait for someone to leave if you don't want to be seen near me."
To her surprise, Aster thought for a moment, then said, "ok" under his breath, and let her lead him to their seats. Lemaitre said keep the peace. Hope it's worth it. He glared to his right, at Astra, as she glanced over at him, and their eyes met. Astra laughed and looked away, thinking, That was awkward. Oh good, there's our seats.
With a haughty sweep that felt awkward, Aster slipped into his seat. He let his wings slide out, which had the dual effect of impressing several of the new ones, and blocking the walking aisle. He let electricity crackle from his hair, too. He wanted Astra to be intimidated.
He frowned and tore into a piece of bread. He knew he wasn't supposed to say anything, but...
"Astra," he blurted quickly. "Did you see anything strange on your journey here? Like shadows that weren't attached, or a tall figure in a copper cloak?"

With a haughty sweep that felt awkward, Aster slipped into his seat. He let his wings slide out, which had the dual effect of impressing several of the new ones, and blocking the walking aisle. He let electricity crackle from his hair, too. He wanted Astra to be intimidated.
He frowned and tore into a piece of bread. He knew he wasn't supposed to say anything, but...
"Astra," he blurted quickly. "Did you see anything strange on your journey here? Like shadows that weren't attached, or a tall figure in a copper cloak?"
i have to work today for a bit but be back in a few hrs, and write my reply then

Astra stared at Aster with a look that was a mix of surprise, shock, and wonder. "H- how did you know? Yes I saw a tall something in a copper cloak following me half the way here. Do you know what it was?"

Astra stared at Aster with a look that was a mix of surprise, shock, and wonder. "H- how did you know? Yes I saw a tall something in a copper cloak following me half the way here. Do you know what it was?"
Aster ducked his head in irritation. He hadn't wanted to explain anything. Just to know.
"I'm... I'm sorry, but no. No one doe. We have theories, though. Most say it's copper-acquainted, some swear it's human. But... I've done some digging, and it turns out that he's followed almost every new arrival, then once they arrive at our gates he just leaves. We don't know why. I've asked Lemaitre about it, and he skated around it, so I have nothing else to tell you. I'm sorry, though... and..."
Aster swallowed his pride, stuffing it into some small corner for later.
"Will you help me search? I've got no other leads or clues."

Aster ducked his head in irritation. He hadn't wanted to explain anything. Just to know.
"I'm... I'm sorry, but no. No one doe. We have theories, though. Most say it's copper-acquainted, some swear it's human. But... I've done some digging, and it turns out that he's followed almost every new arrival, then once they arrive at our gates he just leaves. We don't know why. I've asked Lemaitre about it, and he skated around it, so I have nothing else to tell you. I'm sorry, though... and..."
Aster swallowed his pride, stuffing it into some small corner for later.
"Will you help me search? I've got no other leads or clues."
"Of course. What do I do?"

"Of course. What do I do?"
"Not much right now. I just need your help with looking for hints and clues. I'm usually busy with Lemaitre's missions, so I need you to pick up my slack. Just question all new arrivals, and whatever you do, don't leave the gates. The shadowy shapes have a way of finding helpless newbies lost in the woods," he decided, his mouth quirking.

Back
Top Bottom