Heart of a Dragon

Aster was impressed, but didn't want to show it. He also noticed that his hair was crackling with electricity. He quickly doused the charge and glared at the girl. "Fine, say you're legit. Come inside, Astra, and I'll... find you a room or something until Lemaitre returns. (lemaitre is what they call the headmaster)"
He winced for a moment - he'd given himself away. She'd never told him her name. He dug his fingers into his palms, hoping she wouldn't notice his blunder. "Come with me," he snapped, flustered now. He snapped his wings open and moved to glide away down the hall.

"Ooo...k." Astra followed the boy down the hall and through several snaky corridors. "Only available room's right here by mine... Just my luck." Astra wondered about the reason for the just-my-luck part, but said thank you and went in. She was tired, so she just slung her backpack on the floor and flopped on the bed. Right now she'd rest - unpacking could wait.

"Ooo...k." Astra followed the boy down the hall and through several snaky corridors. "Only available room's right here by mine... Just my luck." Astra wondered about the reason for the just-my-luck part, but said thank you and went in. She was tired, so she just slung her backpack on the floor and flopped on the bed. Right now she'd rest - unpacking could wait.
Aster felt like swearing at his incompetence and bad luck. If only he hadn't let her name slip. Now she was going to be suspicious and annoying, and the third meal was only a half hour away. Hopefully he wouldn't sit next to her, but he knew he'd have to. She was technically his charge, as he'd given her the dream. But hopefully he could avoid her for most of the time. Plus, since she would be doing the same things as him, they'd run into each other a lot.
He sighed. Well, it was his fault. He'd wanted adventure, he'd signed up for the seeker program, and now this hotheaded kid was his responsibility. He surveyed his room, simple and sparse, with grey stone walls and giant windows. Boards on the walls, stuffed with random pictures and souvenirs, canvases painted with sloppy sunset scenes littering the floors, tall wooden bookshelves. He wondered momentarily how Astra might decorate her room, then stamped the thought out. He slipped irritably into nicer clothes before stalking outside, slamming the door behind him, to wait for Astra to come outside.

Aster felt like swearing at his incompetence and bad luck. If only he hadn't let her name slip. Now she was going to be suspicious and annoying, and the third meal was only a half hour away. Hopefully he wouldn't sit next to her, but he knew he'd have to. She was technically his charge, as he'd given her the dream. But hopefully he could avoid her for most of the time. Plus, since she would be doing the same things as him, they'd run into each other a lot.
He sighed. Well, it was his fault. He'd wanted adventure, he'd signed up for the seeker program, and now this hotheaded kid was his responsibility. He surveyed his room, simple and sparse, with grey stone walls and giant windows. Boards on the walls, stuffed with random pictures and souvenirs, canvases painted with sloppy sunset scenes littering the floors, tall wooden bookshelves. He wondered momentarily how Astra might decorate her room, then stamped the thought out. He slipped irritably into nicer clothes before stalking outside, slamming the door behind him, to wait for Astra to come outside.
I"m here, don't leave if I don't respond! gimme a minute to type something

Astra placed her last shirt in her cabinet and stepped back. Done. Now there was a room to decorate, an Aster to go find, and an evening meal to wait for. Aster was probably still annoyed with her for nothing. Oh well, what good are boys anyway. He can wait. She dug a few canvases from her stack on the shelf and started painting. A sunset, a kitten in a basket of flowers, a horse bucking, a flower meadow with a family of deer in it, a farm with ripe wheat in the fields. She only sketched them out - no filling in yet - which took up
an hour.
Now what?
The dream!!!!
Astra ran out into the corridor and knocked on Aster's door. No answer. She ran towards the garden, but skidded backwards and spun around - there he was. She dashed up to him, half-fell onto the chair next to his, and said in one breath, "I know you. And I think I know where from."

Astra placed her last shirt in her cabinet and stepped back. Done. Now there was a room to decorate, an Aster to go find, and an evening meal to wait for. Aster was probably still annoyed with her for nothing. Oh well, what good are boys anyway. He can wait. She dug a few canvases from her stack on the shelf and started painting. A sunset, a kitten in a basket of flowers, a horse bucking, a flower meadow with a family of deer in it, a farm with ripe wheat in the fields. She only sketched them out - no filling in yet - which took up
an hour.
Now what?
The dream!!!!
Astra ran out into the corridor and knocked on Aster's door. No answer. She ran towards the garden, but skidded backwards and spun around - there he was. She dashed up to him, half-fell onto the chair next to his, and said in one breath, "I know you. And I think I know where from."
Aster frowned. "Why don't you tell me who you think I am," he said acidically. (Note: He doesn't hate her or anything, this is just his char)
A thunderous gong sounded, calling everyone to third meal, and he winced. "Talk at dinner, I have to... go." (He's going to report to the headmaster about Astra, he just doesn't want her to know yet)
(Also, you can make up some stuff about him when you're talking, I don't have a great story and you seem to have a grand plan in motion XD)

(OK)
Aster frowned. "Why don't you tell me who you think I am," he said acidically. (Note: He doesn't hate her or anything, this is just his char)
A thunderous gong sounded, calling everyone to third meal, and he winced. "Talk at dinner, I have to... go." (He's going to report to the headmaster about Astra, he just doesn't want her to know yet)
(Also, you can make up some stuff about him when you're talking, I don't have a great story and you seem to have a grand plan in motion XD)
"No, wait. You wanna know who I think you are? You are the one that gave me the dream telling me to come here. I know that much. And I think a few other things, but you aren't on the need-to-know list yet." Astra had that reckless feeling again. Why does he do this to me? "Now you're gonna tell me something I don't know. Why am I here? I know we're supposed to learn to harness our powers here, but I can already do that - you saw that in the hall. So why am I here?"
Aster, still trying to process Astra's rapid-fire way of speaking, sat quiet for a moment. "Look. I'm not the headmaster or the Founders. I have no idea why we have to live here. Yes, I was the one to send you your dream, because I'm a Seeker. And if you keep talking so fast, you're going to make me burst into sparks trying to process what you say."
Astra thought for a moment, then said "Aster, I don't know why you don't seem to like me. I thought since you were the only one who knew anything about me you might be a little friendlier, maybe. Maybe. But you seem to want to be an enemy instead. I wanted you to like me. I wanted you to be my friend. But if that's a problem for you, then fine. I've been alone most of my life, I'm fine being alone here." Astra turned and marched away, which was a good thing - her hair was turning an even darker bloodred, and almost glowing in the evening light. She was agitated. Not angry, not even irritated - just agitated. It was Aster, she knew it - he seemed to have this effect on her every time they were together. But he didn't affect anyone else this way - only Astra. She'd tell him about it at third meal and ask him why. But she'd just ruined that. Oh well, she didn't need him anyway. He'd just be someone else who didn't care. Someone else who thought she was only worth a mousetail. Whatever. He could hate her if he wanted to. She didn't need him. He was too irritable and moody, anyway. She didn't need him. He probably has plenty of friends. She didn't need him. But as she thought this, Astra still found herself wishing she hadn't blown up like that.

She didn't need him.

She didn't.

But she still wanted him to like her.

(OK)

"No, wait. You wanna know who I think you are? You are the one that gave me the dream telling me to come here. I know that much. And I think a few other things, but you aren't on the need-to-know list yet." Astra had that reckless feeling again. Why does he do this to me? "Now you're gonna tell me something I don't know. Why am I here? I know we're supposed to learn to harness our powers here, but I can already do that - you saw that in the hall. So why am I here?"
Aster, still trying to process Astra's rapid-fire way of speaking, sat quiet for a moment. "Look. I'm not the headmaster or the Founders. I have no idea why we have to live here. Yes, I was the one to send you your dream, because I'm a Seeker. And if you keep talking so fast, you're going to make me burst into sparks trying to process what you say."
Astra thought for a moment, then said "Aster, I don't know why you don't seem to like me. I thought since you were the only one who knew anything about me you might be a little friendlier, maybe. Maybe. But you seem to want to be an enemy instead. I wanted you to like me. I wanted you to be my friend. But if that's a problem for you, then fine. I've been alone most of my life, I'm fine being alone here." Astra turned and marched away, which was a good thing - her hair was turning an even darker bloodred, and almost glowing in the evening light. She was agitated. Not angry, not even irritated - just agitated. It was Aster, she knew it - he seemed to have this effect on her every time they were together. But he didn't affect anyone else this way - only Astra. She'd tell him about it at third meal and ask him why. But she'd just ruined that. Oh well, she didn't need him anyway. He'd just be someone else who didn't care. Someone else who thought she was only worth a mousetail. Whatever. He could hate her if he wanted to. She didn't need him. He was too irritable and moody, anyway. She didn't need him. He probably has plenty of friends. She didn't need him. But as she thought this, Astra still found herself wishing she hadn't blown up like that.

She didn't need him.

She didn't.

But she still wanted him to like her.
Aster stormed away, his hair prickling in annoyance. Stupid Reds, blew up at the drop of a talon. He'd been trying to be nice, anyways.
He flapped ungracefully across the school, ducking into the headmaster's office as the bell rang again, second warning for third meal.
"Well, she's high-spirited," he muttered to the figure, sitting regally in a winged chair. "And obnoxious."
"She's red-acquainted, what did you expect? I'm assuming you annoyed her?" replied the headmaster. He looked kinglike on his throne, tall and white-haired. "I don't care if you don't get along. She's your protege, and she's powerful. We need her."
Aster frowned. "Fine. Orders?"
The headmaster narrowed his eyes. "None, for now. Keep her peaceful, maybe test her ability. Meet me again next moonhigh for new orders. Don't set any fires, especially not now. The air spirits are annoyed lately."
Aster dug his nails into his palms. "So, just do everything I have been doing?"
"Yes."
Aster turned and flew out the window, his irritation glowing through his hair. He flapped toward the meal hall, hoping Astra wasn't there. She was.

Back
Top Bottom