Heart Problem in Young Rooster

ArcticChickens

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2019
Northern Norway
We have a flock of 14 birds (Leghorn and Sussex), with seven Sussex pullets and young roosters hatched in mid-July. Two of the chicks were hatched in the incubator; unfortunately I can't say for certain if this rooster was one of them. Until now, most of the young birds have developed very well. For several weeks or so, though, I have started noticing issues with one of the young roosters. He is noticeably smaller than his peers with a lighter built, his comb and wattles are not as large and his behaviour is different (he stays more with the hens and is generally quieter). Unlike the other roosters, he hasn't started crowing, either. For the past days I have noticed him not getting up from the bedding when I go into the coop and not feeding as eagerly as the others. Today he stayed behind when I let the others out to free-range; when I tried to guide him along a bit (very gently, I should add), he became obviously extremely stressed, began to breathe through the open beak, and eventually sat down, while his comb turned purple. I left, and after a few minutes his breathing went back to normal. There is no discharge from the nose or the eyes and no sneezing or coughing. All the other chickens are fine.
Considering his development is somewhat behind the other roosters, there is no outward sign of respiratory tract infection and all the other birds are doing well, could this be a sign of heart failure?
Thank you very much for your help!

We have a flock of 14 birds (Leghorn and Sussex), with seven Sussex pullets and young roosters hatched in mid-July. Two of the chicks were hatched in the incubator; unfortunately I can't say for certain if this rooster was one of them. Until now, most of the young birds have developed very well. For several weeks or so, though, I have started noticing issues with one of the young roosters. He is noticeably smaller than his peers with a lighter built, his comb and wattles are not as large and his behaviour is different (he stays more with the hens and is generally quieter). Unlike the other roosters, he hasn't started crowing, either. For the past days I have noticed him not getting up from the bedding when I go into the coop and not feeding as eagerly as the others. Today he stayed behind when I let the others out to free-range; when I tried to guide him along a bit (very gently, I should add), he became obviously extremely stressed, began to breathe through the open beak, and eventually sat down, while his comb turned purple. I left, and after a few minutes his breathing went back to normal. There is no discharge from the nose or the eyes and no sneezing or coughing. All the other chickens are fine.
Considering his development is somewhat behind the other roosters, there is no outward sign of respiratory tract infection and all the other birds are doing well, could this be a sign of heart failure?
Thank you very much for your help!
Yes, it's a possibility, but there are many other possibilities. It is certain, though, that the roo is not getting the oxygen his body needs. Other group member will have ideas to share I'm sure.

You should definitely separate the roo from the rest. It is possible that he has a poultry disease that could spread.

Thank you for your advice! I will separate him from the rest of the flock and see how his condition develops. He was perking up a bit but now keeps himself separate from the others so I'm guessing he is not feeling too well.

I would leave him with the flock if you plan to keep him, since he will be beaten by the other roosters if he is out of the flock for a week or more. You could separate him in a dog crate with food and water in view of the others inside the coop. Secure the water to the side of the crate. If you bring him inside or separate in another location, you might not be able to put him back with the chickens. I would offer some Poultry NutriDrench or other vitamins for a week or two to see if it makes a difference.

Usually we do not learn what was wrong with our chickens until a necropsy can be done after death, unless there ate obvious signs. Fungal respiratory infection (aspergillosis) could be a problem as well as heart or other problems. Some use oxine in a vaporizer to treat sick birds if aspergillosis is suspected. It is not unusual for only one bird in a flock to be sick from that. Hard to know, but might be something to try. Sorry that he is weak and sick.

While separating the above roo would result just as described in the above post, I would still be inclined to separate him.

And then what...It does not sound like he would be a good choice to keep in the flock. As the cockerels mature they probably, not always, they will fight for the dominant position in the flock; possibly leading to the death of the weaker bird.

Something to consider-what to do with the cockerel should he survive.

Thank you for your kind advice! That is a very good point! First time raising roosters here, zero experience, so I haven't thought about that... I have a crate I used for the broody hen inside the main coop (for the same reason) so that could work!
Unfortunately, we don't have access to NutriDrench here but I have been supplementing their feed with Vitamin E and could certainly top up his ration.
I just researched aspergillosis and the symptoms do sound familiar (though, as you mentioned, they are similar in so many diseases). Due to our long winters the chickens spend a long time inside the coop. We do our best to keep everything dry and clean, but this is certainly something to think about! Just out of curiosity - does anyone know how humans react to these spores if there is an overload?

Hi nchls school, thanks for your advice! No, I know, I try to raise the roosters for meat (very mixed feelings about that...) but we can't slaughter them at the moment and they get along well for now. I will have to use the crate method anyway - it is unusually icy here at the moment and the spare (mini-)coop has turned out to be far too cold.

Vitamin B complex tablet is a good substitute for poultry vitamins. Dosage is 1/4 tablet daily crushed or ground on food with a few drops of water or vegetable oil to stick. Most of us only have one rooster with a flock, but I have had a subordinate rooster who did not challenge the head rooster do well with 20 or more hens. Once they are removed and later come back, most will be run off or attacked.

Back
Top Bottom