Heartbroken (loss)

Newchickgrandma

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
Yesterday I finally got my sapphire gem to the vet and she died in the clinic a few minutes later. The vet couldn't figure out what had caused her respiratory distress even from a fecal test. This is my first time owning chickens. This chicken has struggled and fought for her life for 9 days and I was the one nursing her. She was such a lovely, cuddly and gentle pet. I never thought I could cry so many tears. I'm more upset than my 5 kids! We still wonder how this happened. One thing I keep forgetting to bring up is that my daughter saw the chicken eat a piece of plastic sometime the week before we noticed she was sick. Could this have caused her to have a respiratory infection?

Attachments

• 20220815_093614.jpg
    20220815_093614.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 5
I’m sorry to hear this ❤️ It’s ok to feel heartbroken when you lose someone or something you love and care for.
I’m not too sure about the plastic but respiratory illnesses in chickens suck!
I’d suggest getting some kind of respiratory supplement for the rest of the flock just incase 🐣 they have some hood apple cider vinegar and garlic based solutions that are just added to there water.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
Did the vet suggest necropsy? That is really the best way to know for sure what happened. There are so many things that are possible, and so many variables, that it's very hard to guess. Sometimes symptoms can seem very similar and actual cause is very different. And sometimes something that might seem like a cause can just be coincidence. I would highly recommend necropsy. Questions will be answered and it may bring you peace of mind. Most states in the US have poultry labs that you can send the body to, in many states it's not terribly expensive. If you are not in the US then resources may be different.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Back
Top Bottom