Pekin duck can’t walk

Nov 5, 2022
my year and a half old female Pekin duck who sometimes has a problem getting out of the baby pool was stuck in there for some time maybe an 1-3 hours on October 4th when my boyfriend went to put them away she was really struggling to swim and when he got her out she couldn’t walk and was holding her wings out to stabilize herself so that’s night we immediately took her in to make sure in and she was ok and the next day she seemed fine and was able to walk again . The following weeks she seemed to want to sit around more and had some slight discharged from her eyes and nose but very little every couple of days. On October 20 her walking got bad again and I ended up taking her back Inside to monitor her more closely she didn’t want to eat as much and did not want to stand for more than 5 minutes . I gave her calcium gluconate in case she was egg bound and I gave her vitamin b complex as well. After ruling out she wasn’t egg bound I also checked her feet and she had a very small cut that could have been bumble foot but after looking at it further there was no infection . Her vent was slightly irratated (swollen) but not prolapsed and she was breathing slightly heavy. I ended up taking her to the vet around the 26th/27th because out of no where her respiratory sysmptoks started getting pretty bad they ended up giving me tylosin an antibiotic for a mycoplasma respiratory infection . Her respiratory symptoms seemed to get better but she still couldn’t walk after the antibiotic . So I took fecal matter to the vet and they tested it for parasites which came back negative and now she is on a anti inflammatory (meloxicam) still nothing better with her walking and still not a good appetite anyone have any suggestions !

October 4 Pekin ( 1 1/2 year old) duck stuck in pool couldn’t swim when I got to her and couldn’t walk after. Recovered to normal after just was sitting more than normal but could still walk if she wanted.

October 20th symptoms got worse
where she could only walk with wings out and didn’t want to stand long . Very slight respiratory issues
- gave calcium gluconate
- vitamin b complex
- feet were fine / hock joints normal

- October 27 respiratory got bad took her to the vet they thought mycoplasma respiratory infection
- gave tylosin

October 30:
-checked fecal matter for parasites there were none

November 3rd antibiotic helped respiratory but not walking still holds wings out and doesn’t want to stand
- prescribed meloxicam for 14 days now on day 5 with no change in symptoms .

Anyone have any thoughts or have encountered a problem like this ?

Attachments

• E72CBE75-5FD5-4761-8E0A-190E9A71EE5B.png
    E72CBE75-5FD5-4761-8E0A-190E9A71EE5B.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 9B9DCFB8-05EA-4F78-8C15-B666E9CAC94B.jpeg
    9B9DCFB8-05EA-4F78-8C15-B666E9CAC94B.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom