Micoplasma galisepticum

StellaP

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2023
Hello lovely people, me again 🙄

So after the loss of the paralysed hen a few weeks ago, there have been further issues with my neighbours flock.

They all still have a bad respiratory infection and she has now bought a baby turkey.

I currently have another pullet in my house, this one went lame a week ago then stopped using it’s legs totally. It had bumbles on both feet, and was struggling to breath, I treated the bumbles and I took it to the vet to get antibiotics for it the whole flock. The vet checked her over, no broken bones and so we both assumed the bumbles were stopping her walking, and he gave me doxycycline for the respiratory issues.

The antibiotics didn’t help, either the hen in the house or the rest of the flock and she was still unable to walk, which seemed to be a balance issue rather than her feet (which have healed and are now soft and I would expect her to maybe limp a little but shouldn’t be stopping her walking completely) so I took her back to the vet and he now thinks the flock probably has micoplasma gallesepticum and this was the problem with the first hen, so has given me Tylosin (6%).

Does anyone know how quickly it will help (bearing in mind it won’t cure the micoplasma, just the symptoms) is it the same as other antibiotics, ie a couple of days or will it take longer?

And does anyone have any experience of micoplasma gallesepticum causing balance issues?

Thank you 🙏

Caroline

Most of what I have read says that if symptoms don’t get better in 3 days, there may be something else going on. Since there are many different respiratory diseases, it would be good to get testing, or if you lose one, get a necropsy through your state vet. I would stop bringing your neighbors bird home. If you have any of your own, they may become infected with the disease. Mareks also could be a possibility. Dealing with chickens with diseases can be very expensive with cost of the drugs and vet care. The neighbor needs to stop bringing home more birds, who will only become sick. Respiratory diseases and Mareks don’t go away. Mareks can last in the environment for years. Most respiratory diseases last until the last of the birds has been gone for days to weeks.

Most of what I have read says that if symptoms don’t get better in 3 days, there may be something else going on. Since there are many different respiratory diseases, it would be good to get testing, or if you lose one, get a necropsy through your state vet. I would stop bringing your neighbors bird home. If you have any of your own, they may become infected with the disease. Mareks also could be a possibility. Dealing with chickens with diseases can be very expensive with cost of the drugs and vet care. The neighbor needs to stop bringing home more birds, who will only become sick. Respiratory diseases and Mareks don’t go away. Mareks can last in the environment for years. Most respiratory diseases last until the last of the birds has been gone for days to weeks.
Hi

Thank you, yes normally it’s three days, I didn’t know if it would be longer with the micoplasma.

I’m in Portugal, so no state vets and testing is not common or cheap, so unfortunately it’s trial and error with antibiotics.

I’m only staying in this area short term so don’t have a flock currently, but due to the state of my neighbours flock I cannot ignore the sick and dying, so I am trying to educate my neighbour and get the flock some decent nutrition (they were being fed mouldy bread and turnip tops), I have wormed them (very heavy burden in most of the birds) bought layers pellets and I’m now trying to get them over this respiratory issue.

We did think of Mareks initially but the symptoms are not right, but yes it’s not cheap you’re right!

Thank you 😊

Hopefully, the doxycycline will help symptoms. Do you see bubbles or gunk in eyes, or swollen eyelids, or gasping? Probiotics or plain Greek yogurt can help with immunity. Worming is good. Flubenvet, fenbendazole, or levamisole are good ones that you may have. Albendazole is my favorite if available. It is good of you to help educate the neighbor and get the flock more healthy.

The doxycycline didn’t work which is why the vet thinks micoplasma gallesepticum and so we are trying Tylosin.

No bubbles, just wheezing, sneezing, breathlessness, coughing and the two I’ve had in the house having paralysis/balance issues.

It’s hard work trying to educate, my instinct is to shout and rant, so being calm and nice to people who are allowing horrible suffering is trying my patience sorely, especially when my neighbours eat anything that is sick or dying, so see little point in getting the flock healthy, but the increasing egg production and weight gain in the birds seems to be helping my cause.

I will get some live yoghurt, thank you for that, I’m giving extra protein and vitamins to try and help too.

Back
Top Bottom