Heartbroken.

Pekin Duck Lover

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
I just got back from a vacation. I trusted a Ukranian staying with us who has knowledge on ducks to take care of the eggs. 5/6 have very clear blood rings and spots. Only one looks okay but I dont know if it will survive.

She wasn’t monitoring the temperature
is this a homemade incubator? Yes an eye should be kept on temperature, but incubators ought to be able to regulate themselves enough, unless there is a power issue.
Did you give her instructions? A person having knowledge of ducks does not at all mean they have knowledge on incubating eggs.

is this a homemade incubator? Yes an eye should be kept on temperature, but incubators ought to be able to regulate themselves enough, unless there is a power issue.
Did you give her instructions? A person having knowledge of ducks does not at all mean they have knowledge on incubating eggs.
I gave her instructions and went over them with her many times :hitIt’s not homemade, but my incubator is mostly designed for chickens. I system-set it to a suitable temperature for ducks, but when I got back it was two degrees lower.

I gave her instructions and went over them with her many times :hitIt’s not homemade, but my incubator is mostly designed for chickens. I system-set it to a suitable temperature for ducks, but when I got back it was two degrees lower.
What temperature did you set it to? Duck and chicken eggs both require the same temp, just different humidities and incubation periods.

two degrees isn't always terrible if its only a short amount of time. You're certain those eggs quit? What day were they on? I'm just curious. It really sucks that you lost 5 of the 6.

two degrees isn't always terrible if its only a short amount of time. You're certain those eggs quit? What day were they on? I'm just curious. It really sucks that you lost 5 of the 6.
They were on day 17 when I checked. They were watched for ten days, which is what I’m concerned about. I’m pretty certain they quiet because the blood ring was very clear on them. I opened them and saw the clear goo and blood. One was completely full with yellow yolk and some blood. I’m keeping 3 in the incubator as of now because the “blood rings” on two look odd and I’m concerned that they’re just funky looking veins. One of them doesn’t have any veins visible, but I see an embryo that looks perfectly healthy.

What does her being Ukrainian have to do with it? Language barrier?
She might have misunderstood some of the instructions, and I said that because she was the only adult in the house while we were gone. She’s been living with us for months. I promise I’m not racist- i’m partly Ukrainian myself :lol:

Back
Top Bottom