Heartland Hatchery :(

ck_dunham

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 19, 2010
Ottawa, KS
Well I just wanted to give you all a look into what I experienced with Heartland Hatchery.
Starting in September I tried reaching Heartland Via one Email and a Voice mail. I never heard a reply. Then in October I tried again with an Email asking about a few breeds and wanting an order of 25 chicks. after a week I never heard back but then latter found out that they had posted an ad on craigslist about a sale they were having in a town north of where I live, that they just happen to have the breeds I was looking for. The down fall is that I didn’t see this add till the Monday after the weekend sale. I would think that they would have at least sent me an email back about their sale so that I would not have missed it. Any way I called them again that day and once again I got just voice mail. Asked why they won’t return my calls or emails and how come they didn’t let people know about the sale. Still today NO reply.

Long story short, even thought Heartland is a close to home Hatchery I would rather pay shipping then give them any of my money.

I am sorry that you didn't get to order your new chicks
sad.png
I've never dealt with Heartland but I hope that there are others here who can tell you if this is the standard for this company. If you've left messages since September, there is something seriously wrong with the customer service or the company in general. I think you made a good choice. You'll probably be more satisfied with a mail order from somebody else with better customer service. . .

I know that it has been some time since your post but here is my Heartland story.

I bought some from them at a chick days, well they where not worth my money by any way shape or odd form. I had several that after a few days started showing signs of feet problems that didn't show when I got them. After a week, I had several that had major issues. I would say inbred type things, walking sideways, head turned and can't hold them up, and some just couldn't see but eyes looked fine. Out of around 50 maybe 15 where OK.

Have reported this to the place they set up at and they must not care they still come to that store.

I am at Paola, and there are several feed stores that order in. I get the best chicks from Spring Hill Farmers Union. Not sure where they order from. i would just make sure it is not Heartland.

Heartland is out of Amsterdam, MO and they advertise Chick Days on Craigslist and they are at the Family Center, Bluestem, and other feed/farm stores.

I saw this thread and had to post my own info on Heartland Hatchery. I bought my first ever chicks in April 2009 from a farm store in Paola, KS having "Chick Days" that were supplied by Heartland Hatchery. Out of 12 chicks, there were no losses - all were perfect, healthy and had no problems whatsoever. I've subsequently ordered and picked up chicks directly from him the last three years and I've never had any problems. They've all been bright-eyed, cheepy, with clean butts and straight legs. If you call him directly, even if he doesn't answer he always calls back. I did however try to email and it wasn't answered, so I'm not sure if he ever got it or ignored it, but every call I've made has been returned and when I've picked up chicks they've all been clean and perky and I was able to choose which ones I wanted from each breed. I'm doing guineas for the first time this year and they'll be from Heartland also.

I'd just wanted to share that my experience with Heartland (other than the email) has been nothing but positive. I'm sorry if others had issues with the chicks, but he's never sold me anything but clean, healthy birds and this will be my 4th year purchasing from him.
big_smile.png

P.S. It looks like the domain for the website has expired, so I'm not sure what's up with that. The phone number someone listed above is correct and he has chicks, guineas, ducks and turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom